Learn the difference between version, edition, flavor, region and read some important notes to help you install multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop.
Take note of the following before attempting multiple product installations:
- Multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop can be installed on the same computer.
- Both QuickBooks Desktop Pro and Premier editions use the same installation files and folders; therefore, you CANNOT have Pro and Premier of the same version installed on the same computer. Enterprise does not fall under this rule.
- Only one flavor of QuickBooks Desktop can be installed per Premier or Enterprise version.
Note: The Accountant Desktop Edition, while it's own edition, is treated like a flavor of Premier desktop. The Accountant Edition can also be toggled to any other flavor of Premier or Pro desktop.
- Multiple versions (such as QuickBooks Desktop 2019 and 2018) can be used at the same time. When you work in Premier 2019 and need to open Premier 2018, you don't need to close Premier 2019 before you open Premier 2018.
- Only one QuickBooks edition (such as QuickBooks Premier and Enterprise) can be used at one time. When you work in Premier 2019 and need to open Enterprise 19.0, you must close Premier before you open Enterprise.
- Multiple regions of a QuickBooks Desktop should not be installed on the same computer. If you need multiple regions, we recommend using a virtual machine or web hosting service to house an environment for each region of QuickBooks Desktop you wish to run, other than your own region.
- Data files cannot be shared between Desktop Enterprise and other QuickBooks Desktop versions, or between different years.
- If you primarily use Premier and want to try Desktop Enterprise, opening the Premier data file in Desktop Enterprise will irreversibly update the data file so it can no longer be used in Premier. If you want to try a different edition, open a sample file in the edition you're interested in, instead of opening your actual company file.
- If you open a Premier 2018 data file in Premier 2019, QuickBooks updates the data file so it can no longer be used in Premier 2018.
- Steps to install the manual update are different. When you update QuickBooks using a manual update, you are prompted to choose which edition to update when more than one edition is installed.
Install more than one version of QuickBooks on one computer by using different installation folders
- Launch the downloaded version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Change the installation location:
- Select Custom and Network Options, then Next.
- Choose the installation option you prefer, then select Next.
- When the Upgrade or Change Installation Location window appears, select the first option to Change the install location.
- (Optional) Choose Browse or Change if you want to manually select a different installation folder.
- Select Next to continue.
- Follow the instructions to complete the installation.
- Use the desktop shortcut created for the version you installed to open that version.