Consider the following statements if you are planning to store and use different versions of QuickBooks on your desktop.
- A version is the numeric notation of the product's release. Examples are QuickBooks Desktop 2018 and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 18.0.
- An edition refers to the set of features included in a product. Examples are Pro, Premier, and Enterprise.
- A flavor refers to an industry-specific set of sub-features in a product. Examples are Contractor's, Non-Profit, and Retail.
- A region refers to a specific location for which the product was designed. Examples are United States, Canada, and United Kingdom.
Before attempting multiple product installations, note the following:
- Multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop can reside on the same computer.
- Both QuickBooks Desktop Pro and Premier editions use the same installation files and folders; therefore, you CANNOT have Pro and Premier of the same version installed on the same machine. Enterprise does not fall under this rule.
- Only one flavor of QuickBooks Desktop can be installed per Premier or Enterprise version.
Note: The Accountant Desktop Edition, while it's own edition, is treated like a flavor of Premier desktop. The Accountant Edition can also be toggled to any other flavor of Premier or Pro desktop.
- Multiple versions (such as QuickBooks Desktop 2018 and 2017) can be used at the same time. When you work in Premier 2018 and need to open Premier 2017, you don't need to close Premier 2018 before you open Premier 2017.
- Only one QuickBooks edition (such as QuickBooks Premier and Enterprise) can be used at one time. When you work in Premier 2018 and need to open Enterprise 18.0, you must close Premier before you open Enterprise.
- Multiple regions of a QuickBooks Desktop should not be installed on the same computer.
Note: It is recommended that you use a virtual machine or web hosting service to house an environment for each region of QuickBooks Desktop you wish to run, other than your own region.
- Data files cannot be shared between Desktop Enterprise and other QuickBooks Desktop versions, or between different years.
- If you primarily use Premier and want to try out Desktop Enterprise, opening the Premier data file in Desktop Enterprise will irreversibly update the data file so that it can no longer be used in Premier. (To try a different edition, open a sample file in the edition you're interested in, instead of opening your company file.)
- If you open a Premier 2017 data file in Premier 2018, QuickBooks updates the data file so that it can no longer be used in Premier 2017.
- Steps to install the manual update are different. When you update QuickBooks using a manual update, you are prompted to choose which edition to update when more than one edition is installed.
Install more than one version of QuickBooks on one computer by using different installation folders
- Launch the downloaded version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Change the installation location:
- Select Custom and Network Options and Next.
- Choose the installation option you prefer and select Next.
- When the Upgrade or Change Installation Location window appears, select the first option to Change the install location.
- (Optional) Click Browse or Change if you want to manually select a different installation folder.
- Click Next to continue.
- Follow the instructions to complete the installation.
- Use the desktop shortcut created for the version you installed to open that version.