Display hidden files and folders
- On your Desktop or System Tray, click the folder icon to open File Explorer.
- Click the View tab and select Hidden Items.
Windows 8.1/ 8
- On your keyboard press Windows+E to open File Explorer.
- Click the View tab and select File extensions and Hidden items.
Windows 7 and Vista
- Right click the Windows Logo and select Open Windows Explorer.
- Click Organize and choose Folder and Search Options.
- Click the View tab and select Show hidden files and folders and click to clear Hide protected system operating files.
- Click Yes on the warning message.
- Click Apply and OK.
Search for files in Windows
Windows 10, 8.1, 8 or 7
- On your keyboard, press Windows+F.
- If you don't remember the entire file name, try entering part of the file name.
- If you only know the file extension, substitute an asterisk for the file name and include the extension. For example, enter *.qbw to search for QuickBooks data files or *.doc to search for Microsoft Word documents.
- Your search results will display.
Note: The same file name might appear in multiple directories or folders. The same file name might also appear multiple times with different file extensions.
- Right click the Windows Logo and select Search.
- Click the drop-down arrow at the right of Advanced Search.
- In the Location field, select Computer.
- Select Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files (might be slow)
- Enter the name of the file for which you are searching in the Name field.
- Click Search.
- Your search results will display in the bottom section of the window. To determine the directory path of a specific file, right-click the file and select Properties.