Troubleshoot online banking in QuickBooks if, when attempting to perform online activities such as sending bill payments or downloading transactions on the Bank Feeds Center, you encounter the following error:
The error message might also contain an error code such as [OL-200], [OL-202], [OL-206], or [OL-226]
This error is due to connection interruption (system crash, power outage, firewall problem, damaged online vendor payee, or a bill payment partially received by bank) that occurred in the last online banking session.
Important: Before troubleshooting online checks or bill payments that are stuck, please contact your financial institution first to avoid accidental re-process of previously-sent payments or missed payments. Verify the status of the last transactions sent and the ones that remain in the queue. Knowing this information will help you in making informed decisions following error recovery.
- To resolve the error, a "forced" send/receive or delete of an online payment may be required. Intuit recommends several solutions for this error. For best results, follow the solutions in the order presented.
- If you have more than one account activated for online banking, at the same financial institution, be sure to only sync one account at a time to help isolate the problem account.
- Make sure to back up the QuickBooks company file.
If online checks or bill payments appear in the Items to Send for the problem account
Note: In some cases it may be necessary to switch to register (classic) mode to successfully clear the transaction.
- Uncheck all online checks and bill payments to be sent.
Register or Classic mode:
Side-by-Side or Express mode:
- If more than one payment is listed, select and send each payment individually until the damaged transaction is identified.
- When you've identified the stuck online payment, proceed to clear stuck online transactions.
If NO online checks or bill payments appear in the Items to Send for the problem account
Press and hold the Ctrl key through the entire Online Banking connection, except when typing. Refer to the instructions for clearing stuck transactions.
If the problem persists, open the connlog.txt file, located in the same folder as your company file, to view connection messages. See Collect Bank Feeds log files for detailed instructions.
Press and hold the Ctrl key through the entire Online Banking connection process, except when typing. When going online (Send/Receive, Sync Accounts, etc.) the steps will vary depending on the message received.
Note that it may be necessary to go through this process several times on the same transaction before it will clear.
If the message requests a PIN:
- Release the Ctrl key, enter the PIN, and then press the Ctrl key again while clicking OK.
- The message "Your last online connection was not completed. QuickBooks Desktop is having a problem recovering from this condition" appears.
- Continue pressing the Ctrl key and select OK.
- Another message appears: "Do you wish to resend this request again to your financial institution, do it only after speaking to the Online Banking Technical Support." Continue pressing the Ctrl key while you click OK. The message will close.
If the message states "Your last online connection was not completed. QuickBooks is having a problem recovering from this condition":
- Continue to hold the Ctrl key down, then select OK.
- Another message appears stating: "Would you like to skip resending online transactions? Only do this after speaking to the Online Banking Technical Support."
- Press the Ctrl key, and choose Yes, which displays a window requesting a PIN.
- Enter the PIN and select OK. This clears the stuck request allowing a connection to the online bank account and access to transactions.
Delete a stuck online payment or remove the payment from Pay Online status
Remove payment from Pay Online Status
On the Items to Send section of Bank Feeds Center (name varies by QuickBooks Desktop version), select the problem transaction from the list. For Side-by-Side or Express modes, select the hyperlink for Online Checks and Bill Payments to display the list.
- Press and hold down the Ctrl key while toggling the Pay Online or Online Bank Pmt check mark from the Online Check or Online Bill Payment.
- If you receive a message, continue holding the Ctrl key and select OK.
Delete a stuck Online Payment
On the Items to Send section of Bank Feeds Center (name varies by QuickBooks Desktop version), select the item to be deleted and choose Delete. If this fails to remove the payment:
- Select the payment, hold down the Ctrl and press Delete. You will receive a message that you cannot delete the payment.
- Hold the Ctrl key down while clicking OK to the message.
- From the message asking if you want to remove restrictions, choose Yes. You should now be able to delete the payment using the Delete button.
Note: It may be necessary to perform these steps several times to remove the transaction. If you're unable to resolve the error using these steps, restore a backup created prior to the error occurring. If no backup exists, the file will need to be repaired by Data Services. Fees may apply.
If you receive OL-301 error received after clearing stuck transactions
In some instances you may receive Error OL-301 on your next online connection or setup attempt. If this happens, additional troubleshooting steps may be required.
- Deactivate all online accounts in QuickBooks Desktop.
- From the Company menu, choose Chart of Accounts.
- In the Chart of Accounts, put a check mark on the Include inactive box.
- Disable all online accounts, including any inactive accounts that may be enabled for online access.
- Right click the account and select Edit.
- Go to the Bank Feed Settings tab.
- Select the radio button for Deactivate All Online Services.
- Select Save & Close.
- Close and reopen QuickBooks Desktop.
- Create a new bank account for your problem account.
- Merge the accounts by renaming the old account with the name of the new account you need to merge.
- Right click the old account and select Edit.
- In the Account Name field, type the name of the new account.
- Select YES when you get the Merge warning dialog box.
- Re-enable online banking. Hold down the Ctrl key during the entire setup except when typing. If you need help with account setup, refer to Set up account for Bank Feeds.