After clicking the QuickBooks Desktop or company file icon, the program does not start or just partially appears. A number of issues can prevent QuickBooks from opening. In some cases, rebooting your computer will resolve this issue.
Opening QuickBooks Desktop multiple times (double-clicking repeatedly) can prevent it from opening successfully. Be sure to allow sufficient time for QuickBooks to load before continuing.
Solution 1: Close the QBW32.exe process
Sometimes the process for QuickBooks that runs in the background gets stuck, ending it, then re-opening QuickBooks can solve that.
- Right-click the Windows task bar and select Start Task Manager.
- Click the Processes tab and click the Image Name header to sort the processes alphabetically.
- Locate and select QBW32.EXE and click End Process.
Solution 2: Suppress the QuickBooks Desktop application
Incase there is damage with your company file, first you need to make sure the QuickBooks program itself is working. QuickBooks may be trying to open your previous company, so it is important to isolate if the program is working or your company file.
- Right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon, press and hold the Ctrl key and select Open.
Important: Do not release the Ctrl key until you have the No Company Open window unless QuickBooks freezes or gave you an error.
- Open the company file.
Solution 3: Restart you computer
If all else fails, sometimes just restarting your computer can solve issues with QuickBooks opening.
Solution 4: Run the QBInstall Tool
Download and run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool (QBInstall Tool) to fix a wide variety of errors that you may receive when opening QuickBooks Desktop.
- Download the QuickBooks Install DiagnosticTool.
- When prompted, save the file to the local Desktop.
- Close any open programs and run the QBInstall Tool.
Note: It may take up to 20mins to complete, depending on your internet speed and computer's performance.
- Restart the computer after running the tool to ensure the components are properly updated.