Troubleshoot online banking connection if, while attempting to connect to or download from your bank, you receive either of the following messages:
- QuickBooks was not able to bring all of your transaction information up to date. The server may be currently unavailable, or your account information may not be correct. Please try again later. [OL-393]
- An error has occurred. If the problem continues, call customer service for your financial institution. [OL-301]
This may happen if:
- An online account is not set up properly in QuickBooks Desktop or at the bank:
- The account has been changed or is not activated for this service at the bank. (Example: Bill Pay Service).
- The username or password is incorrect.
- An inactive account (at the bank) may still be enabled for online access in QuickBooks causing the connection request to fail.
- The bank is waiting for identity confirmation.
- The bank server is not responding due to server maintenance.
- The Quickbooks Desktop company file may be damaged.
Recommended steps for resolving OL 301 or 393
Identity Confirmation Request
IMPORTANT: This may be required after installing a new version of QuickBooks or an update to your current version.
Most banks require identity confirmation prior to accessing data from PFM (Personal Financial Management) software. To satisfy the bank security requirement, log in to your account outside of QuickBooks and check your Message Center or Notifications inbox for details. If needed, contact your bank directly for instructions.
Make sure to back up the QuickBooks company file before performing the following steps.
Step 1: Create a new test file
- From the QuickBooks File menu, click New Company.
- Click the Express Start button.
- In the QuickBooks Setup window, enter all required information then click Create Company.
If you receive the same error message: This typically indicates that there is a problem at your bank. Please contact your bank to verify your account information, check for server outages and report the problem.
- Banks have a support channel: All U.S. and Canadian financial institutions that currently support download or import into QuickBooks have a Merchant Service Agreement (MSA) with Intuit via https://fi.intuit.com/.
- For proper assistance when contacting your bank, ask to be transferred to a bank representative familiar with QuickBooks Online Banking and account activation.
If you do NOT receive an error message: This means the problem is NOT with your bank. Please continue to Step 2.
Step 2: Deactivate and reactivate (Reset your account connection)
- Deactivate online services for the problem bank account in your QuickBooks company file. Refer to Deactivate an Online Banking account for help.
- Reactivate online services.
Direct Connect (applies to US only): Log in using your customer ID and PIN or PW from the Bank Feeds Center.
- From the QuickBooks Banking menu, select Bank Feeds and click Set Up Bank Feed for an account.
- Select your bank and follow the on screen instructions.
Web Connect: Download your online transaction activity from your bank's website as a QuickBooks (.qbo) file and save it to your computer.
- From the QuickBooks File menu, click Utilities > Import > Web Connect Files.
- Locate the Web Connect file saved earlier then click Open.
- In the Select Bank Account window, click the Use an existing QuickBooks account radio button then choose the appropriate bank account.
- Click OK when you get the confirmation Your Web Connect data has been successfully read into QuickBooks.
- Direct Connect (applies to US only): Log in using your customer ID and PIN or PW from the Bank Feeds Center.
If the problem persists, please continue to Step 3.
Step 3: Check for inactive accounts in QuickBooks
- From the Lists menu, click Chart of Accounts.
- In the Chart of Accounts, click the Account dropdown arrow then select Show Inactive Accounts.
- Disable all online accounts, including any inactive accounts that may be enabled for online access.
- Right-click the account and click Edit Account.
- Click the Bank Feed Settings tab and click the radio button for Deactivate all Online Services. If you receive a pop-up message, click the OK button. Note that this step will not terminate your online account service with your financial institution. It will only disable online access for specific accounts in QuickBooks.
- If you have more than one account enabled for online services with the same name, merge the accounts together.
- Close and reopen QuickBooks.
- One at a time, reactivate and test your account(s) for a successful connection and download.
If the problem persists, please continue to Step 4.
Step 4: Verify data integrity
If the issue does not stem from an inactive account or incorrect account information, your file may have data integrity issues. Resolve data damage on your company file.
- When reviewing QBWin.log file, look for the following error message: LVL Error--Orphan payee found in online cache.
- If running the Rebuild Data utility a second time does not resolve all errors, you may need to contact Intuit Data Services for possible repair or recovery options. See Intuit Data Services: Frequently Asked Questions for details.
For additional information and help on other OL and OLSU erroers, see Troubleshoot Bank Feeds issues and errors, including OL and OLSU errors.SLN40464