Intuit Data Protect (IDP) is a subscription service that backs up your files to protect them from loss or damage due to computer virus or malware, laptop theft, file corruption, fire, and so on. Your files are automatically backed up online over the Internet once a day, every day, at an automatically selected time to an offsite location.
You can choose to back up just your QuickBooks company file (Company Data plan), or you can back up multiple QuickBooks Desktop files and any other data on your computer (Entire PC plan).
Critical Internet Explorer update needed
Set up Intuit Data Protect
Add firewall ports and exemptions
To ensure that Intuit Data Protect will function as expected, there are several computer settings to check and configure before activating the program. See Add firewall ports, programs and website exemptions for Intuit Data Protect.
Activate Intuit Data Protect
- Open Intuit Data Protect.
- From QiuickBooks, go to File > Back Up Company > Set Up/Activate Online Backup.
- From the Backup Status section (bottom right of QuickBooks Home), select Intuit Data Protect.
- From the System Tray, find and right-click the IDP icon (green padlock) and select Open Intuit Data Protect.
- The Intuit Data Protect window appears. Choose Activate Now.
- In the Intuit App Center window, sign in using your Intuit Account credentials created when you subscribed to the service.
- The Intuit Data Protect Diagnose window automatically runs. Click Continue when all the status shows Complete. A confirmation screen pops up if the IDP service has found some previously backed up files. Click Yes if you wish to recover your files or No to proceed with the setup process.
- In the next window, select all the files you want to back up, then choose Continue. The first window is for selecting QuickBooks files. After you click Continue, you can select the other folders you wish to back up. You will then be asked to set up a schedule to back up the files on the next window. Select Continue again.
- The Notification Email settings window opens. Assign an e-mail address to be notified if:
- The backup Fails.
- The backup is Successful.
- The last good backup is older than X number of days. (You can set the number of days here.)
- Other critical issues.
Note: For first-time setup, the check boxes will not show up. This is working as designed. Choose Continue until you reach the home screen of IDP. Go to Change backup settings and continue until you reach the Notification Email Settings window again. The check boxes should be available.
- A prompt message appears for a successful IDP setup. Choose OK.
Use Intuit Data Protect
Start backing up your files
- Open IDP (the green padlock near the time and date) from your system tray.
- The IDP window appears. Select the Back up now button to back up.
- After selecting all files for backup, choose Continue.
- Select Backup now to start the backup.
- When backup has completed, the Backup Completed window will appear. Choose OK.
What you need to know about scheduled backup:
Restore backed up files
- Open IDP and select Restore from Backup.
- IDP will retrieve the list of files available to restore.
- Select the files you wish to restore and select Continue.
- In the Select Backup Version window, choose the version you wish to restore. Choose Close.
- After choosing the preferred restore points, the interface will revert back and display the chosen restore points. Select Continue.
- Select the location for your restored backup then choose Restore.
Note: If you choose New location, a window will pop up asking where you want to save the restored files. If original location is chosen, there will be a prompt to confirm overwriting existing files with the restored backup. Click Overwrite or Cancel as appropriate.
- The Restore Completed window appears after the restore completes. Select OK.
View Backup History
- Right-click the IDP icon and select Open Intuit Data Protect.
- Select View Backup History.
- The Backup Details page will show you a chronological list of your backups, from oldest to newest. Scroll through the history to find the date and time stamp of the backup entry you're looking for.
Intuit recommends to call support to manage your account. To make changes to your account, please call 800.450.8475 Mon-Fri, 6 am to 8 pm, PT to have a support agent help you.
Change Backup settings
If you wish to add or remove files from your backup, or change your notification preferences:
- Open Intuit Data Protect.
- Select Change backup settings.
- The Select QuickBooks data window appears. Here, you will select the files you wish to back up, depending on your subscription. Choose Continue
- For Entire PC users, the next window that will appear is the Select other folders to back up. Here you can select other items for back up. Click Continue
- On the Notifications Email Settings page, select when to be notified of backup successes and/or failures.
- Select Continue.
To check the total size of data you uploaded, perform the following steps:
- Open Intuit Data Protect.
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl+R.
- IDP will compute the contents of each folder. When finished, a Delete button appears. You can use this delete button if you wish to purge your files.
IMPORTANT: Ensure that you restore your files first before purging as there is no way to retrieve purged data.
Troubleshoot IDP issues
If you are having any issue with Intuit Data Protect, be sure to check out Troubleshoot Common Intuit Data Protect (IDP) Problems.