Intuit Data Protect (IDP) is a subscription service that backs up your files to protect them from loss or damage. Your files are automatically backed up online over the Internet once a day, every day, at an automatically selected time to an offsite location.
You can choose to back up just your QuickBooks company file (Company Data plan), or you can back up multiple QuickBooks Desktop files and any other data on your computer (Entire PC plan).
Critical Internet Explorer update needed
To provide greater security and stability, all connections used by QuickBooks Desktop to access Intuit services will need to meet certain system requirements after May 31, 2018. Make sure your Internet Explorer uses TLS 1.2 to keep features like Payroll, Online Banking, and Payments working.
To learn more about this, see Operating System, Internet Explorer, and .Net framework requirements for QuickBooks Desktop 2016 and later.
Set up Intuit Data Protect
Add firewall ports and exemptions
Activate Intuit Data Protect
- From QuickBooks, go to the File menu, then select Back Up Company > Set Up/Activate Online Backup.
- From the Backup Status section (bottom right of QuickBooks Home), select Intuit Data Protect.
- From the System Tray, right-click the IDP icon (green padlock), then select Open Intuit Data Protect > Activate Now.
- In the Intuit App Center window, sign in using your Intuit Account credentials. This is the account you created when you subscribed to the service.
- On the Intuit Data Protect Diagnose window, select Continue when all the statuses show Complete. A confirmation screen pops up if there are some previously backed up files. Select Yes if you wish to recover your files or No to proceed.
- In the next window, select all the files you want to back up, then select Continue. Choose the other folders you want to back up on the next window, then select Continue.
- Set up a schedule to back up the files, then Continue.
- On the Notification Email settings window, assign an e-mail address to be notified if:
- The backup Fails.
- The backup is Successful.
- The last good backup is older than X number of days. Note that you can set the number of days here.
- Other critical issues.
Note: For first-time setup, the check boxes will not show up. Keep selecting Continue until you reach the home screen of IDP. Select Change backup settings, then keep clicking Continue until you reach the Notification Email Settings window again. The check boxes should now be available.
- Once a message saying the IDP setup is successful, select OK.
Use Intuit Data Protect
Back up your files
- Open Intuit Data Protect (IDP) from your system tray.
- On the IDP window, select Back up now.
- After selecting all the files for backup, select Continue.
- Select Back up now to start.
- When backup is complete, the Backup Completed window will appear. Select OK.
Need to know about scheduled backup:
Restore backed up files
- Open Intuit Data Protect (IDP), then select Restore from Backup. IDP will retrieve the list of files available to restore.
- Select the files you wish to restore, then select Continue.
- In the Select Backup Version window, choose the version you wish to restore, then Close.
- After choosing the preferred restore points, the interface will revert and display the chosen restore points. Select Continue.
- Select the location for your restored backup, then select Restore.
Note: If you choose a new location, a window will pop up asking where you want to save the restored files. If the original location is chosen, there will be a prompt to confirm overwriting existing files with the restored backup. Select Overwrite or Cancel as appropriate.
- On the Restore Completed window, select OK.
View Backup History
- Right-click the IDP icon, then select Open Intuit Data Protect.
- Select View Backup History.
- The Backup Details page will show you a chronological list of your backups, from oldest to newest. Scroll through the history to find the date and time stamp of the backup entry you're looking for.
Change Backup settings
If you wish to add or remove files from your backup, or change your notification preferences:
- Open Intuit Data Protect (IDP).
- Select Change backup settings.
- On the Select QuickBooks data window, select the files you wish to back up depending on your subscription. Select Continue.
Note: For Entire PC users, select other items to back up on the Select other folders to back up window, then select Continue.
- On the Notifications Email Settings page, select when to be notified of backup successes and/or failures.
- Select Continue.
To check the total size of data you uploaded:
- Open Intuit Data Protect (IDP).
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl+R. IDP will compute the contents of each folder.
- When done, a Delete button appears. You can use this if you wish to purge your files.
Note: Make sure to restore your files before purging since there is no way to retrieve the purged data.
Troubleshoot IDP issues
If you are having any issues with Intuit Data Protect, see Troubleshoot Common Intuit Data Protect (IDP) Problems.