Intuit Data Protect is a subscription service that helps you protect your data from loss or damage due to virus, laptop theft, file corruption, fire, and so on. Your files are automatically backed up online over the Internet once a day, every day, at an automatically selected time to an offsite location. You can choose to back up just your QuickBooks Desktop file (Company Data plan), or you can back up multiple QuickBooks Desktop files and any other data on your computer (Entire PC plan).
- Setup and activate IDP
- Create backup
- Restore backup
- Add firewall ports, programs and website exemptions for Intuit Data Protect
- Troubleshoot IDP issues and errors
- Learn additional information about IDP
Using Intuit Data Protect
Setup and Activate
- Open IDP in QuickBooks Desktop.
- From the View menu, select Top Icon Bar.
- From the Home screen, look for the Backup Status section and click Intuit Data Protect.
- The Intuit Data Protect window appears. Click Activate Now.
- In the Intuit App Center window, sign in using the Intuit Account credentials created when you subscribed.
- The Intuit Data Protect Diagnose window automatically runs. Click Continue when all the status shows Complete.
Note: A confirmation screen pops up if the IDP service has found some previously backed up files. Click Yes if you wish to recover your files or No to proceed with the backup process.
- In the next window, choose all the files you want to backup and click Continue.
Note: The first window is for selecting QuickBooks files. After you click Continue, you will be asked if there are other folders you wish to back up. Click Continue again. You will be asked to set up the schedule to backup the files on the next window. Click Continue again.
- The Notification Email settings window opens. Assign an e-mail address to be notified if:
- The backup Fails.
- The backup is Successful.
- The last good backup is older than X number of days. (You can set the number of days here.)
- Other critical issues.
Note: For first time setup, the check boxes will not show up. This is working as designed. Click Continue until you reach the Home screen of IDP. Go to Change backup settings and continue until you reach the Notification Email Settings window again. The check boxes should be available.
- A prompt message appears for a successful IDP set up. Click OK.
- Open IDP.
- The IDP window appears. Click the Back up now button to create a back up.
- After selecting all files for backup, click Continue.
- Click Backup now to start the backup.
- When backup has completed the Backup Completed window will appear. Click OK.
Note: The backup process might take time, depending on the Internet Connection and the number of files being backed up. You can work in QuickBooks while IDP runs in the background.
What you need to know about scheduled backup:
- Your PC must remain powered ON.
- You must be logged in to Windows as the user who set up the Intuit Data Protect account.
- Your first backup can take a few minutes to several hours depending on how many files you selected. Don't worry, future backups will only take a few minutes.
- If your PC is off when the backup runs, the backup will resume when you turn on your PC again. This is all done in the background so you can keep working without interruption.
Restore your backup
- Open the IDP interface and click Restore from Backup.
- IDP will retrieve the list of files available to restore.
- Select the file (or files) you wish to restore and click Continue.
- In the Select Backup Version window, choose the version you wish to restore. Click Close.
- After choosing the preferred restore points, the interface will revert back and display the chosen restore points. Click Continue.
- Select the location (original or new) for your restored backup then click Restore.
Note: If you choose New location, a window will pop up asking where you want to save the restored files. If Original location is chosen, there will be a prompt to confirm overwriting existing files with the restored backup. Click Overwrite or Cancel as appropriate.
- The Restore Completed window appears after the restore completes. Click OK.
Change Backup settings
- To change your Backup Settings, locate the Intuit Data Protect (IDP) icon (the green padlock) in the System tray.
- Right-click the IDP icon and select Open Intuit Data Protect.
- The main Intuit Data Protect window displays. To change your Backup settings, click Change backup settings.
- The Select QuickBooks data window displays. Here you will select the file(s) you wish to backup depending on your subscription. Click Continue
- For Entire PC users, the next window displayed is the Select other folders to back up. Here you can select other items for back up. Click Continue
- On the Notifications Email Settings page, select when to be notified of backup successes and/or failures.
- Click Continue to exit settings.
To check the total size of data you uploaded, perform the following steps.
- On the system tray, right click the Intuit Data Protect icon and select Open Intuit Data Protect.
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl+R.
- IDP will compute the contents of each folder. When finished, a Delete button appears. You can use this delete button if you wish to purge your files.
Add Firewall Ports and Exemptions
Troubleshoot IDP issues
Intuit Data Protect access points
- From the File menu > select Backup Company > Open Online Backup: Intuit Data Protect.
- From the Backup Status section (from QuickBooks Home page), click View Details.
- From the System Tray - Find and right-click the IDP icon and select Open Intuit Data Protect.
Intuit Data Protect Home Screen
- Back up now - Allows you to run a manual backup
- Restore from Backup - Allows you to restore backup files from the list of successful backups.
Change Backup Time - Allows you to set up an automatic backup time.
Important: To enable this functionality, you must be on the latest version of Intuit Data Protect. Verify you are on the latest version of Intuit Data Protect.
To manage your scheduled backup time:
- Right-click the Intuit Data Protect icon in the system tray and choose Open Intuit Data Protect.
- Click Change Backup Time.
- Set the time by entering it in the field or using the arrows. Click OK when your preferred backup time shows.
- Backups will run automatically each day at the time you selected.
View Backup History - When you click View Backup History, you'll see the Backup Details page with a chronological list of your backups, from oldest to newest. Scroll through the history to find the date and time stamp of the backup entry you're looking for.
- Right-click the IDP icon and select Open Intuit Data Protect.
- The Main Intuit Data Protect window displays. To view your Backup History, click View Backup History.
- Manage my subscription - Allows you to update the subscription. Currently, Intuit recommends to call support to manage accounts.