- Understand reports
- Set report preferences
- Customize reports
- Create, access and modify memorized reports
- Add comments to reports
- Combine reports from two or more company data files
- Set up and modify Scheduled Reports
A report is a set of instructions that QuickBooks Desktop uses to display data from your company file. All available reports can be accessed through the QuickBooks Reports menu.
How QuickBooks generates reports
QuickBooks Desktop displays reports based on a set of instructions known as a Report set. Through this set of instruction, information is extracted from the data file and shown as a set of transaction lines in the report. Report set determines which lines of which transactions are included in the report and if the report includes either Source or Targets or both.
Report Set Includes:
- The structure of the report that is hard coded into QuickBooks Desktop.
- The embedded filters that are part of this structure.
- Default filters
- Settings on the Display and Filter tabs
When building a report, QuickBooks looks at individual transaction lines. If a line matches the report set, then the line is added to the report. Note that different reports read a transaction differently so the two reports you might think should have the same amount may, in fact, show different amounts.
QuickBooks Desktop also uses a concept called Source and targets to apply accounting principles and processes, like recording transactions and displaying reports. Understanding source and targets helps you maximize Report Filters so you can create more effective reports and faster advanced finds
- Source is the summary information about a transaction. It contains all source data (source account, source name, source memo and source amount, etc...).
- Targets provide the detailed information about the transaction and include all target data (target accounts, target names, target memos, target amounts, etc...).
- When pulling up any saved transaction in QuickBooks such as an invoice or a check, pressing CTRL+ Y on your keyboard pulls up its transaction journal report. The first line on the report shows the source data and the rest of the lines are target data.
- All transactions have a fixed source data EXCEPT general journal entries, since you can insert a line before the first line on the entry. Doing so makes ALL lines on the general journal entry recognized by QuickBooks as target data.
Available reports in QuickBooks Desktop
QuickBooks offers a wide variety of reports that tell where the company stands. These reports offer critical information about the company and those you do business with. Check the table below for details on every report group available in QuickBooks Desktop Pro and Premier:
|Report Groups||Description||Sample reports|
|Company and Financial||Find out how your company is doing financially.||Profit and Loss Standard, Profit and Loss Detail, Balance Sheet Standard, Balance Sheet Detail|
|Customers and Receivables||Find out how much your customers owe and when it is due.||A/R Aging Summary, A/R Aging Detail, Open Invoices|
|Sales Reports||Find sales information related to customers, items, sales reps, pending sales, and sales orders.||Sales by Customer Summary, Sales by Customer Detail|
|Jobs, Time and Mileage||Find out how well your company is doing at estimating jobs, how much time is spent on each job, and the mileage expenses for each vehicle or job.||Job Profitability Summary, Job Profitability Detail, Estimates by Job|
|Vendors and Payables||Find out how much your company owes and how much is overdue.||A/P Aging Summary, A/P Aging Detail, Vendor Balance Summary, Vendor Balance Detail, Unpaid Bills Detail|
|Purchase Reports*||Find information about purchases and open purchase orders.||Purchases by Vendor Summary, Purchases by Vendor Detail, Open Purchase Orders|
|Inventory Reports*||Find information about inventory value, stock status and pending builds, including a worksheet for checking your physical inventory.||Inventory Valuation Summary, Inventory Valuation Detail|
|Employees and Payroll||Find information about your employees, payroll, and payroll-related expenses.||Payroll Summary, Payroll Item Detail, Workers Comp Summary|
|Banking Reports||Find information about your banking transactions.||Deposit Detail, Check Detail, Missing Checks, Reconciliation Discrepancy, Previous Reconciliation|
|Accountant and Taxes||Find information related to accounting activities and income tax preparation.||Trial Balance, General Ledger, Audit Trail Report|
|List||Find lists of useful information about your company.||Account Listing, Price Listing, Customer Phone List, Vendor Phone List, Terms Listing|
|Contractor Edition Reports**||Custom-built for contractors with advanced job costing helps you make more money from your jobs.||Job Cost by Vendor Summary, Cost to Complete by Job Summary, Unpaid Bills by Job,|
|Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition Reports**||Customized tools for manufacturers and wholesalers to streamline workflow and manage finances more effectively.||Sales by Rep Detail, Sales by Product, Open Sales Order by Customer|
|Non-Profit Edition Reports**||Customized tools for Non-Profits to help them manage their organization’s finances more effectively, efficiently and easily||Biggest Donors/Grants, Budget vs. Actual by Donors/Grants|
|Professional Services Edition Reports**||Perfect for Consultants, Engineers, Architects, Attorneys, Designers, Ad Agencies, and more.||Billed/Unbilled Hours by Person, Project Costs Detail, Project Status|
|Retail Edition Reports**||Designed specifically to help retailers manage sales, inventory and customer information.||Profit and Loss Monthly Comparison, Sales Graph, Accounts Payable Graph|
* Available if Purchase Order and Inventory features are turned on.
** Available only in QuickBooks Desktop Premier