Perform the following if you need to access your QuickBooks Desktop company file from a host or server computer.
Before you can access your company file over the network, you are required to:
Install the QuickBooks Database Manager on the remote computerThe QuickBooks Database Server Manager is a utility that allows you to configure the QuickBooks Server for multi-user access.
- Download & Install QuickBooks Desktop on the main computer.
- From the QuickBooks File menu, select Switch to Multi-user Mode.
- Click Yes in the Multi-user hosting setup required window.
Note: QuickBooks Desktop installs and runs QBDBMgrN.exe as a background service. This service must be running on the computer storing the company file even if QuickBooks Desktop is not open.
- Click OK on the Multi-user setup information window.
- Add the necessary users by going to Company > Set Up Users and Passwords > Set Up Users > Add User.
Optional: Turn Network Discovery On and Password Protected Sharing OffThe server needs to have Network Discovery turned on and is visible to try opening the file using a UNC path.
In addition, Windows will ask for a network password if Password Protected Sharing is turned on. If this happens, you can either log in using the network password or turn off the feature.
- Open Control Panel, choose Network Sharing Center and click Change advanced sharing settings.
- Expand the Profile type that you are currently using.
- Under Network Discovery, select Turn on network discovery.
- Under Password protected sharing, select Turn off password protected sharing.
- Click Save changes.
Do this process on Server or Host computer and all the workstations that need to access the file over the network.
Locate then open the company file
- From the File menu, select Open or Restore Company.
- Browse the location of the company file.
Example: if your company file is mapped to drive E, look for Company Files Name (E:) in the list.
- Select the company file (with file extension .qbw) from the list and click Open.
- If prompted, enter your user name and password.