Basic data damage troubleshooting is the same for QuickBooks Desktop for Windows and for Mac. These solutions will help you resolve minor data issues with your company file.
Rebuild and verify data
Before you begin, please keep in mind:
- Run the Rebuild and Verify Utilities on the same computer where the actual company file is stored.
- The Rebuild Utility will create a backup of your file. You can save the backup anywhere but please ensure that you take note of the location of the file.
Step 1: Run the Rebuild Utility.
- From the File menu, click Utilities > Rebuild Data.
- Click OK if you receive a prompt to backup your company file.
Note: Your computer may display the message QuickBooks is not responding. However, as long as you can see your mouse cursor move, Rebuild is still ongoing. Wait for it to complete.
- Click OK when you get the message Rebuild has completed and proceed with the next step.
Step 2: Run the Verify Utility.
- From the File menu, click Utilities > Verify Data.
- Click OK when you see the message QuickBooks detected no problem with your data. You may continue using your company file.
- If Verify finds an issue with your data, you will be prompted to Rebuild Now or View Errors. Please click Close. Instead, perform the following:
Important: Continue with the following steps if you are comfortable reviewing the QBWin.log or the QuickBooks.log file. Otherwise, you may contact support for additional help.
Find QBWin.log or QuickBooks.log files.
If you are working with a support agent, from the Tech Help window, click Send log files to Intuit Support. This will send the file to a repository that will enable the support agent to view your log files.
- For Windows: Search (Ctrl + F) for "BEGIN VERIFY" and locate the most recent file (logs are in date order with latest at the bottom).
For Mac: Scroll all the way to the bottom for the most recent Verify information
- Find the line that contains the LVL_ERROR, search it on QuickBooks Learn & Support. You may also see Data Damage Top LVL errors Library.
Note: Errors within both log files might not be exactly the same but are presented in the same format.
- Follow the steps to resolve the issue.
- Find QBWin.log or QuickBooks.log files.
Additional Data Damage Troubleshooting for Mac
Identify problem transactions using reports
Run the Balance Sheet in Cash and Accrual Basis
- Go to Reports > Company & Financial > Balance Sheet Detail
- Select Options and choose either Accrual or Cash for the Report Basis.
If the total assets does not equal the liability and equity in each report, determine the transaction causing the problem. Backup your company file then delete and re-enter the transaction.
Compare the Account report totals to balances on the Chart of Accounts
- Compare the total in the Open Invoices report (Reports > Customers & Receivables > Open Invoices) to the Accounts Receivable balance on the Chart of Accounts.
- Compare the total in the Unpaid Bills report (Reports > Vendors & Payables > Unpaid Bills Detail) to the Accounts Payable balance on the Chart of Accounts.
If the total does not match the balance, check the transaction causing the problem. Backup your company file then delete and re-enter or modify the transaction.
Check specific accounts
- Rebuild will often put out-of-balance transactions in this account as a way to "balance" the transaction. Generally you should only see voided checks in this account unless you have been using the account.
- Look for transactions other than voided checks (any transactions with amounts that have no item or account associated with them). You will need to delete and re-enter the transaction. Determine what the item or account should be on the transaction.
- From Activities, select Make Deposits and then select All (do not record the deposit at this time). The deposit total amount should equal the balance showing for Undeposited Funds on the Chart of Accounts. In addition, there should not be any deposits (negative amounts) showing on the deposit.
Merge damaged accounts, items, or names
- On the Lists menu, select Chart of Accounts.
- While holding the Control key, click once on the damaged account and select Edit Account.
- Add an asterisk (*) to the name of the account then click Cancel.
- Hold the Control key and click on any account then select New Account.
- Choose the appropriate type and enter the original name of the problem account.
- Click OK.
- Hold the Control key and click on the original account then select Edit Account.
- Remove the asterisk (*) from the account name.
- Click OK.
- Select Yes to confirm that you want to merge the two accounts.
- On the Lists menu, choose Items.
Note: Make sure the two items are of the same type.
- While holding the Control key, click once on the damaged item and select Edit Item.
- Add an asterisk (*) to the name of the item then click Cancel.
- Hold the Control key and click on any item then select New Item.
- Choose the appropriate type and enter the original name of the problem item.
- Click OK.
- Hold the Control key and click on the original item then select Edit Item.
- Remove the asterisk (*) from the item name.
- Click OK.
- Select Yes to confirm that you want to merge the two items.
- Open the corresponding Center (Customer, Vendor, or Employee) for the type of name you are merging.
Note: Make sure the two names are of the same type.
- While holding the Control key, click once on the damaged name and select Edit.
- Add an asterisk (*) to the name then click Cancel.
- Hold the Control key and click on any name then select New.
- Choose the appropriate type and enter the original name.
- Click OK.
- Hold the Control key and click on the original name then select Edit.
- Remove the asterisk (*) from the name.
- Click OK.
- Select Yes to confirm that you want to merge the two names.
Delete memorized reports or transactions
- From the Reports menu, choose Report Center.
- Select the report you want to delete and click on the name once.
- Click the red X on the left of the name.
- Click OK to delete the memorized report.
- From the List menu, choose Memorized Transactions.
- Select the transaction you want to delete.
- Go to the Edit menu and choose Delete Memorized Transaction.
- Click OK to delete the memorized transaction.