For your security, QuickBooks Desktop requires a password to be entered every time you access your company file. QuickBooks automatically creates the Admin user for you, then you can create additional users with their own usernames and passwords.
This article helps you reset your QuickBooks Desktop password if there are security updates or other unforeseen circumstances.
Password tips and other reminders
You know your password and want to change it
- Go to Company > Set Up Users and Passwords > Change Your Password.
- Enter your current password.
- Set up your new password and a challenge question, then click OK.
You have forgotten or lost your password
Reset password using your challenge question
- In the QuickBooks Desktop login screen, click I forgot my password.
- Answer the security question and click OK.
- Click Close when you see this message: Your password and challenge answer and question have been removed, and your company file is no longer password-protected. When you close this window, you will be asked to create your new password and select and answer your challenge question.
- Enter a new password and new challenge question then click OK.
Change another user's password
- Log in to the company file as the administrator.
- Go to the Company > Set Up Users and Passwords > Set Up Users.
- If prompted, enter your password again.
- In the User List, select the user whose password you want to change then click Edit User.
- Enter the new password.
- Click Next twice then select Finish.
Reset Admin password using a reset code
There are two ways to reset your Admin password:
- Reset password in QuickBooks.
- On the QuickBooks Login window, select I forgot my password.
- Select I forgot my answer.
- Fill out the information needed.
- Reset password using the Automated Password Reset Tool.