You are logged in as a specific user when you use QuickBooks Desktop. QuickBooks Desktop automatically creates the Admin user for you. Aside from the Admin user, you may be using another log in credential added by the Admin. Security updates and other unforseen circumstances may lead you to reset your password.
This article is about resetting the QuickBooks Admin password and other passwords you may have related to using QuickBooks Desktop.
Important password tips to remember
Passwords are case sensitive. Check the Caps Lock and Num Lock keys. One (or both) might be on, or could have been on when you created the password.
Passwords cannot contain spaces. Reenter the password without spaces.
When creating passwords. use the complex password guidelines: at least 7 characters (letters, numbers, special characters), at least 1 number, at least one uppercase letter.
Your keyboard might not be functioning correctly. Try typing some text in another program such as Notepad to be sure your keyboard is working.
You may be seeing an incorrect login screen. A login screen that asks for a password but does not ask for a user name is the administrator's login screen. If that screen appears and you have a non admin login, close QuickBooks, and then reopen it.
The password may actually be blank. Some users prefer to leave the Admin password to their data file empty, or blank. Note: Intuit does not recommend this practice, for security reasons. Try clicking OK in the login screen without entering a password. (You will get the login screen when the Admin password is blank if you have more users in the file than just the Admin user.)
Reset your QuickBooks Password
The following solutions apply to resetting the password for both an Admin and a non-Admin QuickBooks user.
You know your password and want to change it
- With your company file open, choose Company > Set Up Users and Passwords > Change Your Password.
- In the Current Password field, enter your current password.
- In the New Password field and the Confirm New Password field, enter your new password.
- Click OK.
You have forgotten or lost your password
Reset password using your challenge question
- In the QuickBooks Desktop login screen, click I forgot my password.
- Answer the security question and click OK.
- Click Close when you see this message: "Your password and challenge answer and question have been removed, and your company file is no longer password-protected. When you close this window, you will be asked to create your new password and select and answer your challenge question."
- The Change QuickBooks Password window opens. Enter a new password and new challenge question.
- Click OK. Your will file open.
Reset Admin password using a reset code (Admin only)Go to the Use the Automated Password Reset Tool for QuickBooks Desktop to reset your Admin password.
Important: Please ensure you enter the First and Last Name of the person who originally purchased/activated the product.
Changing another user's passwordImportant: Only the QuickBooks Administrator can do this.
- Log in to the company file as the administrator.
- Go to the Company menu, click Set Up Users and Passwords, and then click Set Up Users.
- If prompted, enter your password again.
- In the User List, select the user whose password you want to change.
- Click Edit User.
- Enter the new password, first in the Password field and then in the Confirm Password field.
- Click Next twice and then click Finish.