The following articles can help you get started if this is your first time to install and use QuickBooks Desktop in a multi-user or network environment. Follow the steps in the order shown below.
Installation and setup
- Download and install QuickBooks Desktop
- Set up folder permissions to share company files
- Configure Firewall and Internet security settings for QuickBooks Desktop
- Set up the QuickBooks Database Server Manager and scan your file
- Add Windows admin rights to allow configuration of multi user access
- Map a network drive (optional)
- Open a company file that is located on a remote computer
To turn on Hosting
Important: Turn on hosting only for the Host computer or where the company file is stored. If you are using a server to host your file, one computer still has to act as a Host. You must NOT turn on hosting for workstations.
- From the File menu, select Utilities.
- Click Host Multi-User Access.
- Click Yes on the confirmation window.