What's the difference between disconnecting and deleting an account?
Be careful! There is a big difference.
When you disconnect an account:
- It stays active in QuickBooks but you stop QuickBooks from getting your transactions from your bank.
- You can reconnect the account later, if you want to.
- Any transactions in your For Review tab will be deleted. If they are older than 90 days, you will not be able to download them into QuickBooks again.
When you delete an account from QuickBooks, there may be unintended consequences, so again, be careful!
- The account will be made inactive in QuickBooks. You will not see it anymore unless you go to your chart of accounts and use the Gear icon to show inactive accounts.
- If the account has a non-zero balance, QuickBooks will make an adjusting transaction.
- Although you can make a deleted account active again, you may need to make corrections to journal entries and balances.
- If transactions in the deleted account appeared in other accounts in QuickBooks, the transactions will remain in those other accounts. For example, if you delete a credit card account but you made payments to that card from your checking account, the payments will stay in the checking account with (deleted) next to the credit card name in the Account field.
If you are not sure whether to delete an account, check with your accounting professional before you delete.
To disconnect an account:
In the navigation bar, click Transactions > Banking.
- Select the account you want to change, and then click the Edit (pencil) icon > Edit account info.
- In the Account window, select the Disconnect this account on save checkbox.
- Click Save and Close.
The account stays in QuickBooks, but transactions will not be downloaded from the bank into QuickBooks anymore.
To delete an account:
- Be sure you understand the effects of fully deleting an account.
Click the Gear icon > Chart of Accounts.
- Find the account you want to delete in the list.
- In its Action column, click Down arrow > Delete.
- Confirm that you want to delete the account.
The account is made inactive in QuickBooks. You will not see it in the chart of accounts anymore.