Before you can use your new QuickBooks Desktop software, you need to register (also known as Activate) it with us. Until you register the product, you won't be able to open or create QuickBooks company files.
You'll need to register every time you install QuickBooks on a computer (new or reinstall on an existing computer). That means that if you have multiple copies of QuickBooks Desktop, you must register (activate) each copy, and if you install QuickBooks Desktop on a new computer, you need to register again.
To Register/Activate QuickBooks Desktop:
Registering QuickBooks Desktop on a Windows Computer:
- Important: Check if QuickBooks Desktop is already registered:
- With QuickBooks open, press F2 on your keyboard. The Product Information window opens.
- Look for the registration status at the right of the license number.
- If QuickBooks says REGISTERED, then you are all set!
- If QuickBooks is NOT ACTIVATED or UNREGISTERED,
- Click OK to close the Product Information window.
- Go to Help and choose Activate QuickBooks (Register QuickBooks for QuickBooks 2015 and earlier)
- Follow the on-screen prompts to verify your information and complete the activation process.
Registering QuickBooks Mac on a Mac Computer:
- Select the QuickBooks menu, then select Register QuickBooks.
- Enter the License Number and Product Number, then click Next.
- Click Register Online.
- Follow the on screen instructions to complete your registration.
Note: If the option to register does not appear, then your software is already registered.
What if I'm having Trouble Registering/Activating QuickBooks Dekstop?
When prompted to verify your information, you should make sure to provide the same information that you gave at the time of purchase. If it doesn't match perfectly, it won't be accepted.
If you have a technical issue like a blank screen or an error message, try temporarily disabling your anti virus software, as it may be interfering with the registration process.
For users with older QuickBooks Desktop software:
In keeping with Intuit's discontinuation plan for older products, discontinued products cannot be registered for the first time. See the QuickBooks Desktop service discontinuation policy and upgrade information (US, Canada or UK).
You may re-register discontinued products if they have ever been registered before on any computer and are being reinstalled. If you do, you will need to call us to receive a validation code. However, assisted support for discontinued products is no longer available. If you have a discontinued product, we recommend that you upgrade your version of QuickBooks Desktop (US, Canada or UK)
Helpful Links Regarding Registration/Activation of QuickBooks Desktop
- QuickBooks Desktop system requirements
- Download QuickBooks Desktop
- Install QuickBooks Desktop
- Troubleshoot installation issues