Recent newsUpdates for 2016
North Carolina -
The North Carolina portal is updated for filing the W-2 file that is created in QuickBooks for the due date of January 31st. The agency prefers that the file be sent to the portal.
CD's are accepted - if you have sent in a CD there is no need to re-submit the data to the agency.
Please do not call an agency for any questions on when this tool for filings will be available for use in QuickBooks. They cannot provide the answers on our release schedules.
If you have QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted, please see this article for information about how Intuit handles your W-2s.
Most states do not offer direct E-Filing for state W-2s, but with your Quickbooks Payroll Enhanced Subscription and Microsoft Excel 2003 or higher, QuickBooks Desktop has a feature that will help you create a file that can be uploaded to their website (or sent via electronic media).
Some states have changed their due dates to January 31st please verify your state due date for filing the W-2 data.
To know the type of your payroll subscription, go to Employees > My Payroll Service > Manage Service Key. To upgrade to Quickbooks Payroll Enhanced, see Migrate or change your payroll subscription.
Note: If you are in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Virginia or Wisconsin, you can file your W-2s directly from QuickBooks Desktop. Go to Employees > Payroll Tax Forms and W-2s > Process Payroll Forms.
Process Payroll Forms can also be accessed from the Payroll Center. From the Payroll Center click the File Forms tab.
IMPORTANT: THIS IS THE FILE YOU SEND TO THE STATE. FOLLOW THE SPECIFIC AGENCY'S INSTRUCTIONS TO SUBMIT THE FILE.
- Click Employees > Payroll Tax Forms & W-2s > Create State W-2 E-file.
- On the Welcome window, click Continue.
Note: Verify the Tax Year you are filing for is available.
- On the QuickBooks Payroll state W-2 Filing window, click Continue.
- Next to Select State, chose the state from the drop-down menu, click Get QuickBooks Data.
- On the QuickBooks Payroll State W-2 filing - Updated window, click OK.
- Correct any errors or add missing information into the file.
- Click the Add-Ins tab to to locate the QuickBooks Payroll State W-2 drop-down menu. Click Start Interview.
- Select the I understand that I must review my data and answer the following questions checkbox, click Next.
- Note the file name and location. Click Next.
- Answer the questions in the interview and verify any autopopulated information. Click Next until you reach the End of Interview window.
- Click Create W-2 File.
- On the State W-2 File Created window click OK.
Note: The name and location of the file you will send to the state is located in the file information box for your convenience.
- When the Save Workbook window open, click Yes to save the Excel workbook for your records.
Note: IMPORTANT: THIS IS NOT THE FILE YOU SUBMIT TO THE STATE. THIS IS FOR YOUR RECORDS.
W-2 filing instructions vary from state to state.
New : Iowa - instructions
Oklahoma - instructions posted when released
Click the hyperlink to your state and follow the W-2 filing instruction for your state.