This article describes how an QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted customer can print a replacement copy of employee W-2 forms from the Payroll Tax Center (PTC) and provides a link to the W-2 filing instructions to meet the IRS requirements.
The IRS requires that a reissued W-2 form be provided to an employee and include the following:
- The words "REISSUED STATEMENT"
- Copies B, C, and 2
- A copy of the W-2 filing instructions
To print a replacement employee W-2 form:
Go to the Payroll Tax Center (PTC) from your QuickBooks file:
- Choose Employees > Payroll Center.
- Click the File Forms tab.
- Click View/Print forms & W-2s.
- Enter Payroll PIN. Click OK.
- Go to the W-2 page. If you do not see a list of employees, click View/Print W-2 forms for all years.
- Click the employee's name to open the W-2 form you want to print. (If the W-2 does not open, hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys while clicking the employee W-2.)
- If prompted, select View Reprints. (This adds the REISSUED STATEMENT watermark to the W-2.) Click Continue. (If you are not prompted, the REISSUED STATEMENT watermark automatically appears on the W-2 form).
- When Adobe Reader opens the W-2 form, print it on the correct perforated paper.
Note: If you do not have perforated paper (instructions on back), you can print the W-2 form on plain paper, but you must also provide the W-2 filing instructions to your employee.
If you receive an error about pop-up blockers, security, or any other script error, follow the instructions in the article Resolve script errors and other problems when viewing W-2s and other payroll forms in the Payroll Tax Center (PTC). These errors happen because of security preferences set on your computer and this article will help you reset the preferences to allow you to download the W-2 or tax form.