This article explains how to prepare and print Form 941, Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return, and, if required, Schedule B, Employer's Record of Federal Tax Liability. It also explains how to prepare and print Form 940, Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax Return.
You will be able to prepare Forms 940, 941 and 941 Schedule B.
You have an active QuickBooks Desktop Enhanced or Standard Payroll Subcription.
- Form 941 is a quarterly form. Your Form 941 filing due date is the last day of the month that follows the end of the quarter. See IRS 941 filing instructions.
- Form 940 is an annual form. Your Form 940 filing due date is January 31. See IRS 940 filing instructions.
Before you begin, ensure you have the latest release of your QuickBooks Desktop program and the latest tax table update.
To prepare Form 941/Schedule B or Form 940:
Note: If you need to process form for prior year, see Process Prior Year Tax Returns in QuickBooks, for options.
Note: Note: Do not edit the following types of data on a payroll tax form:
- Filing period: To specify a different filing period, close your existing form and create a new one. Editing the filing period on the form does not automatically change the other fields on the form.
- Totals: You should not change any field that is a sum of other fields on the form. QuickBooks Desktop calculates these automatically. To change a total, change one of the fields used to calculate it.
- Employer Identification number (EIN) or Social Security number (SSN): To edit an EIN or a SSN, close the payroll tax form, edit the information in the appropriate place in QuickBooks Desktop, and then start a new form. Do not save your form and open it again after editing the information in QuickBooks Desktop, because QuickBooks Desktop does not export new data into existing forms.
- In QuickBooks Desktop, choose Employees > Payroll Forms & W-2s > Process Payroll Forms.
In the File Forms section, select a form to process, and click File Form.
- Quarterly Form 941/Schedule B - Interview for your Form 941/Schedule B; or
- Annual Form 940/Sch. A-Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax Return
Click the drop-down arrows and select the Year or Quarter and Quarter Ending dates. Click OK.Although QuickBooks Desktop collects and retains the 941/940 information from previous years, QuickBooks Desktop always uses the most current year form available to display the information.
- Complete the interview and click Next to proceed to your form.
Review all the information on your Form to make sure it is complete and accurate.Before completing your Form, ensure that all tax payments relating to that Form's reported taxes (Federal Withholding, Social Security, and Medicare for Form 941 and Federal Unemployment for Form 940) are properly recorded in QuickBooks Desktop.
The 941 form in QuickBooks Desktop has to have the correct payment frequency selected in order to determine if a Schedule B should be included when e-filing the form.
If the wrong frequency is selected (anything other than semi-weekly for the frequency), the Schedule B will not be e-filed and you will receive a notice.
- If you need to enter information in a field that is currently blank, enter it directly in the field. The new data displays in blue. (It is not blue when you print the form.)
If you need to edit information that is incorrect:
- Right-click in the field and choose Override.
- Enter the new data in the Override box and press Tab. The new data displays in green to indicate that you manually changed data exported from QuickBooks Desktop. (It is not green when you print the form.)
- If you need to undo an override, right-click in the field and choose Cancel Override.
- To read more about the form, click View details about this form. Click Check for Errors to identify and fix any form errors. Click Save and Close to save your changes and come back later.
- You can read the filing and printing instructions at the bottom then click Print for Your Records to print your form.
- Click Submit Form to electronically file your form.
Note: If you have Enhanced Payroll you may also save the form as a PDF by clicking Save as PDF at the bottom of the form.
You can print the PDF form you saved by opening up the form and clicking File at the top toolbar of your PDF form. Select Print from the menu list.