QuickBooks File Doctor (formerly known as the Connection Diagnostic Tool) is a tool to help resolve common networking and company file corruption errors for QuickBooks Desktop (Windows only). If you're reading this article, it's probably because you're having trouble with opening your QuickBooks company file. We want to get you back up and running as quickly as possible.
The QuickBooks File Doctor Tool can help you if:
- You can't open your company file and get one of the following error messages: -6150, -6000 -82, -6000 -305, -6000 -301, -6147, or -6130.
- You have missing or blank lists for your customers, vendors, or employees.
- You get an H101, H202, H303, or H505 error (error opening QuickBooks over a network or multi-user setup issues).
- Your file is severely damaged and will not open, but you can open sample company files (or other files).
How to use the QuickBooks File Doctor tool
- For QuickBooks 2016 and later, you may be prompted to run the internal (built-in) version of File Doctor. If so, please use the version of QuickBooks File Doctor contained in this article instead, as it is the most up to date version and has the highest chance of resolving your issue.
- QuickBooks File Doctor only works in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows. It is NOT compatible with QuickBooks for Mac.
This is how you use the QuickBooks File Doctor:
Download the QuickBooks File Doctor to your computer.
Important: If you already have a version of File Doctor on your computer (you will see a green File Doctor icon on your desktop), you will need to proceed with downloading and installing File Doctor from this article to ensure you have the latest release. It is recommended to uninstall any previous versions of File Doctor before downloading and installing from this article.
- After the download completes, double-click qbfd.exe and follow the on-screen instructions to install the QuickBooks File Doctor.
Note: If you use Windows 10 and have trouble installing File Doctor, take a look at our 5954 and follow the instructions to enable Microsoft .Net 3.5.
- The QuickBooks File Doctor opens automatically after installing. If you do not see it opening, look for a green wrench icon in your Windows task bar.
- Use the drop down list to find your company file (this is based off your last 10 opened companies). If you do not see your company file in the list, select browse and manually locate it to continue.
- Select one of the following options:
- Both file damage and network connectivity: If you suspect your company file is damaged, or you see a 6xxx error (such as -6150, -6000 -82, -6000 -305, -6000 -301, -6147, or -6130) when you try to open your company file (data file problems).
- Network connectivity only: If you are using QuickBooks in a multi-user setup and get an H202 (or H303/H505) error when you try to open your company file (network errors) in Multi-User mode.
- When prompted, enter the Admin password for your company file, then select Next.
- You will then be prompted to choose Host/Server or Workstation. Note: It is important to make sure you pick the right option!
- If you are running File Doctor on a workstation (meaning your QuickBooks file is physically not stored/hosted on this machine), then pick Workstation.
- If you are running File Doctor on a Server computer (meaning the QuickBooks file is physical stored on this machine), then pick Server. You should also pick Server if you are the only user and use QuickBooks on only one computer.
- Choose one of the following options, if prompted to share your company file:
- Yes: If you are running File Doctor on the computer hosting the company file (only choose this if you are running File Doctor on your server computer or host computer).
- No: If you are running File Doctor on a computer that is not hosting the company file (aka your Workstation).
- Wait until the File Doctor finishes diagnosing.
Note: If you are running the data damage + networking option, you will need to wait until the tool finishes. Depending on whether your file is local or on a network, and file size, it could take a while to finish diagnosing and repairing your data file. The network only mode shouldn't take any longer than a minute or two.
After QuickBooks File Doctor completes repair and diagnosis:
- After the tool finishes diagnosis, close File Doctor.
- Regardless of the results screen, try opening your QuickBooks file again to see if the issue is resolved.