Use QuickBooks Online and the 1099 E-File Service to e-file your 1099-MISC forms with the IRS.
Note: When going to the next or previous step in any part of the Prepare or E-File 1099 processes, use the available buttons in the page instead of using the browser navigation buttons.
- Prepare 1099s
- E-file 1099s
- Print & Mail to the IRS
- Returning to 1099 E-file Service
- 1099 Transaction Detail Report
- State Filing
- FAQs & Troubleshooting
- Related Articles
Prepare 1099s in QuickBooks Online
Review company details
- Select Workers from the left menu > Contractors > Prepare 1099s.
- To begin, select Let's get started.
- Check your company details. Any changes you make will be saved to the Company Settings. Select the edit (pencil) icon to update the information. save the changes, then select Next to proceed.
Review 1099 information
- Make sure all 1099 contractors or vendors are listed and that the details are correct.
- To add a new vendor from the list, select Add from Vendor list.
- Add email field will be used to e-deliver 1099s to your contractors.
Note: Please make sure that the email address is correct because once the email address is added in QuickBooks Online or on this screen, it cannot be changed in the 1099 e-file flow.
- Select Next to proceed.
Confirm and review 1099 contractor and vendor payments
- Confirm your 1099 contractors or vendors by making sure their details are correct.
- Double check the categories and payments made to 1099 contractors or vendors for the selected year.
- Select Finish preparing 1099s.
File your 1099 Forms using the 1099 E-file Service or print and mail your forms yourself.
- After preparing 1099s, you will have the option to choose whether to e-file or manually print and file your 1099s.
- Select Go to 1099 E-File Service if you choose to e-file.
- Select Print and mail if you choose to submit it manually.
- If you select Print and mail forms, it opens a new page to print 1099 forms in .pdf format. Please refer to To print and mail your forms section below.
e-File your 1099s
The 1099 E-File Service will copy your company information from QuickBooks Online. You will be prompted to enter any information that cannot be imported. Your phone number must have 10 digits and must be entered without parenthesis or dashes.
Verify your 1099 Forms, then select Continue.
- Review your 1099 Forms and make sure that the information brought over from QuickBooks Online is correct. You may choose to select all or select only the 1099 forms you want to submit. Then select Continue.
- If you want to review company and vendor information before proceeding, select Back to Home at the top left.
Enter your billing information, then select Approve.
- This information is not imported from QuickBooks Online. First time users will be prompted to enter billing and credit card information. E-checks are not accepted by the 1099 E-File Service.
- Review the Number of forms, and the Total Amount, then Approve.
Choose delivery option for Contractor Copies.Starting this year, when you e-file your 1099s, you don’t need to send copies to your contractors. We'll do it for you! You can give your contractors online access to their 1099s and we will print and mail a copy to your contractors via First-Class Mail. Or you can choose to just have us mail a printed copy to your contractors.
- Choose your preferred delivery method.
- If you select Yes, you will be asked to verify or enter missing email addresses for your contractors.
- All contractors with email addresses will receive an invite to access their 1099 forms online. See this section of Invite a contractor to add their own 1099 tax info for more details.
- If an email address is incorrect, you will need to go back to QuickBooks Online to update the contractor's email address, and then go back through the 1099 e-file flow.
- If the email address field is left blank, we will still e-deliver the 1099 copy to the email address previously saved in your QuickBooks Online account.
The Download a copy of each 1099 for your records link will provide you the following 1099 copies:
- Employer: Copy 1 & Copy C
- Contractor: Copy B & Copy 2
- If you select No, no further action is needed. Select Continue.
When you e-file through Intuit, we will also mail a printed copy to your contractors via First-Class Mail at no additional cost. Contractors can expect their copy in the mail within 1-2 weeks after you e-file.
Note: Mailings to your contractors will include your company information as the return address.
- Choose your preferred delivery method.
Download and Submit 1099 Forms
- View forms: This button will only give you the Copy A that we sent to the IRS. Other 1099 copies are available in Home page, in Download step. To go back, select Back to Home at the top left.
Submit final forms: Make sure that you have reviewed the 1099 forms before clicking this button as we do not handle corrected forms.
- Once 1099s are submitted, they cannot be modified.
- Paper Version of Copy A of Form 1099 is for your records ONLY. You should not print or mail this form to the IRS.
Submission ConfirmationThis page appears once you submit the 1099 forms.
Print and Mail your forms to the IRS
Purchase your 2017 1099 Kit by mid-January so you can print and mail in time for IRS filing and contractor delivery deadlines (postmark January 31).
To print and mail your forms:
- Select Print and mail forms. Choose this option to print both 1099 and1096.
- Select a form type (1099/1096). Preview and print sample. If the fields lineup, choose Yes, looks good. If the fields do not line up, choose No, it doesn't line up.
- Adjust the alignment by dragging the square to the place where it appears on your printout. Select b.
- Select vendors to print. Select Save.
- Print your 1099/1096 forms.
Returning to the 1099 E-File Service
- If you want to file another set of 1099s: Open QuickBooks Online, select Workers from the left menu > Contractors > Prepare 1099s. If contractors are not added yet, add them first before going to the 1099 e-file flow.
- If you want to modify unsubmitted 1099s: Go back to your QuickBooks Online, then go through 1099 e-file flow again.
If you want to correct the 1099s that were submitted: The 1099 E-File Service does not let you make corrections to a 1099 form after it has been e-filed. You can, however, make corrections in a printed copy and send it by mail to the IRS. For more information about correcting a 1099 form that has already been e-filed, please check the IRS website.
Note: If the contractor or recipient of the 1099-MISC form wants the information corrected, you will need to provide the corrected return to the recipient or contractor and file it again.However, you might not need to make any corrections. The guidelines in Safe Harbor for de minimus state that you do not need to make any corrections if:
- The withholding amount (that is, the difference between the actual amount withheld and the amount filed) is less than $100
- The difference between the dollar amount reported for tax withheld and the correct amount is no more than $25
1099 Transaction Detail Report
The 1099 Transaction Detail Report is now available! This report provides the transactions and total for each contractor along with their account number and tax ID. This report is available by going to:
- Reports > All Reports > Review Expenses and Purchases > 1099 Transaction Detail Report.
- Set the report date range to Last Calendar Year.
- Filter to narrow down the data on the report, i.e. a certain 1099 vendor, or a certain 1099 box.
You're not required to file Form 1099-MISC with your state if your business is in:
- Alaska (AK)
- Florida (FL)
- Iowa (IA)
- Illinois (IL)
- New Hampshire (NH)
- Nevada (NV)
- New York (NY)
- South Dakota (SD)
- Tennessee (TN)
- Texas (TX)
- Washington (WA)
- Wyoming (WY)
For all other states, check with your state agency for filing requirements. We do not file 1099s with the states for you.
FAQs & Troubleshooting
Contractors with U.S. Territories or Foreign Addresses
QuickBooks Online users can e-file 1099s for contractors in any of the 50 states and U.S. Territories, such as Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
This can only be done by going to Expenses > Vendors and adding the 2-letter state or territory abbreviation in the State field.
Please ensure you enter two letters in the state field for all contractors, including those with addresses in U.S. Territories. For example:
- AS for American Samoa
- GU for Guam
- MP for Northern Mariana Islands
- PR for Puerto Rico
- VI for Virgin Islands
For contractors that were paid in the U.S., QuickBooks Online users can file a 1099 for a contractor with a foreign address by printing and mailing the forms to the IRS directly. This can be done in the Vendor Profile by:
- Adding the contractor
- Printing on a pre-printed 1099-MISC form
- Mailing the form to the IRS
My contractors did not receive email invitations to view their 1099s online
This might have occurred due to one of the following scenarios:
- The QuickBooks Online user did not have permission to add or manage users
- The contractor is inactive
- There are multiple email addresses entered for the contractor
What to do:
- Get your settings changed so you can deliver 1099s online to ensure you have the right QuickBooks permissions
- Reactivate the inactive contractors
- Remove multiple email addresses so each contractor only has one
My contractors did not receive email invitations to view their 1099s online and I do not have permissions to add or manage users in QuickBooks Online
No problem, you can still have contractor emails sent by following these steps:
- User with Admin or User Management access rights logs into QuickBooks Online
- From the left menu, select Workers > Contractors > Prepare 1099s.
- Select Continue your 1099s
- Go to the end of the Prepare 1099s flow and select Finish preparing 1099s
- Then select Go to 1099 E-File Service
- Select Back to Home at the top left of the screen.
- On the 1099 Overview page, select Company Settings
- Select the Data Usage Option
- Select No, then OK to override the current settings
- Go back to the Data Usage Option, then select Yes and OK to toggle the option back on
- Completing these steps resets the contractor online access setting. Emails will be sent to contractors within the next 24 hours.
Please note: You will not see a confirmation message confirming the problem has been fixed.
Correct a reported payer name or tax identification number (TIN) on Forms 1099-MISC
Issue: You have reported an incorrect payer name and/or tax identification number (TIN) on one or more of the Forms 1099-MISC you filed with the IRS.
What to do:
Intuit does not support corrections to Forms 1099-MISC. You're responsible for handling any errors to a recipient's 1099 form that has already been reported:
- Provide the recipient with a corrected form.
- Prepare and file the applicable corrected forms to the IRS and state tax agency.
The IRS General Instructions for Certain Information Returns (Forms 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, 5498, and W-2G) contains the information you'll need to prepare and file corrected 1099-MISC forms. Depending on the error, refer to the appropriate section of the document:
- Incorrect payer name and/or TIN: Section F (Electronic Reporting), subsection "Reporting incorrect payer name and/or TIN"
- Duplicate reporting or a large percentage of incorrect information: Section F (Electronic Reporting), subsection "Reporting incorrect payer name and/or TIN"
- Other errors: Section H (Corrected Returns on Paper Forms), and error chart on the page following the end of Section H
How do I file a manual amendment after I e-file?
- Order 1099-MISC IRS forms online at IRS Online Ordering for Information Returns and Employer Returns or over the phone at 800.829.3676.
- Fill out the 1099-MISC form and be sure to select the Corrected checkbox.
- Mail the form to the IRS.
- Mail the recipient copy to your contractor as soon as possible so that they can file their taxes.
If you’re missing a payment or need to edit a contractor payment, do this:
- Check that all of the correct boxes/categories are selected and matched with the QuickBooks accounts used to track the payments.
- Be sure the list shows the right tax year and type of vendor.
- Confirm they meet the 1099 threshold.
- Note any payments in the “excluded” column. These are most likely credit card payments made to the vendor, which will be reported by the credit card company instead.
- If you still need to add or edit a contractor payment, go back to the payment in QuickBooks and make the changes there. When finished, come back and finish preparing your 1099s.
Can't sign in to Intuit App Center
Issue: When signing in to Intuit App Center, it gives you a warning message: The user ID or password is incorrect.
What to do:
- If you're not sure if you have an Intuit Account or the application says there is already an Intuit Account with your email address, use the Forgot User ID application. The Forgot User ID application retrieves any Intuit Account user IDs associated with the email address.
- If you don't remember the password set for your Intuit Account user ID, use the Forgot Password application to reset it. If you don't know the answer to the security question, contact support at 1.800.450.8475.