Here's an easy guide on how to open your company file and set up your desktop view preferences in Quickbooks.
Open your company file:
When you open QuickBooks Desktop, the No Company Open window appears, consider any of the following steps to open your company file.
- Select the Open or restore an existing company icon, select Open a company file, and click Next. Choose the company file, or browse to the folder containing the company file, and click Open.
- In the Select a company that you've previously opened and click Open section, select your company file, and click Open.
Open a different company file while working in Quickbooks:
If you are working in QuickBooks Desktop and the wrong company file is open, follow below steps to open a different company file.
- Choose File > Open or Restore Company.
- In the Open or Restore Company window, choose Open a company file radio button, then click Next.
- Select your company file or browse to the folder containing your company file, then click Open.
IMPORTANT: Always open your QuickBooks Desktop company files from within QuickBooks Desktop. If you open a company file by double-clicking the file outside QuickBooks Desktop, you may lose access to all QuickBooks Desktop functions.
If the homepage is minimized when you open the company file:
When you open your company file and the Home page is minimized, you may need to check and correct your Desktop Preferences.
- From the Edit menu, select Preferences.
- In the left side bar, select Desktop View then choose My Preferences.
- In the DESKTOP section, choose one the following options:
- Save when closing company: This will always give you the desktop view, from the last time you open your company file
- Don't save the desktop: If you select this, the opened windows from the last time you open your company file won’t automatically open.
- Save current desktop: This will save the current desktop including all the opened windows. After this option is selected, the preference will show and move to Keep previously saved desktop option
- You can also check one of the following boxes:
- Show Home page when opening a company file: if you want your Homepage to show up every time you open your company file.
- Switch to colored icons/light background on the Top Icon Bar: if you want your icon bar to light up
- Click OK.