Find your issue below. For general information on direct deposit, see Direct deposit overview.

My employee wants to split the deposit (two banks or direct deposit and a check)

We can do that. Ask the employee what dollar amount they want to go to the first bank, and then you can set up the remainder to go to a second bank account or to a check.

1. In the left navigation bar, click Employees.

2. Click the employee's name , and then click Edit employee .
  3. To change your bank info or select another way to pay your employee, click the pencil icon under How do you want to pay this employee?.
  4. Select a payment method on the Direct deposit or paper check page.
  5. Set up the initial dollar amount for the first bank, and then enter the details for the remainder to go to the second bank or to a check.
  6. Click OK.
My employee wants to change their bank

No problem. To change the employee's bank details: 

1. In the left navigation bar, click Employees.

2. Click the employee's name , and then click Edit employee .
  3. To change your bank info or select another way to pay your employee, click the pencil icon under How do you want to pay this employee?.
  4. Change the bank details and then click OK.
My employee wants to use a savings or money market account

QuickBooks Online Payroll lets you use standard checking accounts, savings accounts, and some money market checkingaccounts for direct deposit. Some savings accounts might require a different account number to be used for direct deposit. Employees should consult with their bank on what account number to use for deposits made through the Automated Clearing House (ACH) .

My employee says they never received their direct deposit

This could happen if the bank account information was entered incorrectly, or there was a problem with the employee's account. Check with the employee to confirm their bank routing and account numbers are correct. Most of the time, the funds are rejected and returned to the employer bank account within 2 to 3 business days after the pay date.

If the employee has not received the funds by midnight of the pay date, and you don't know what happened contact us to request a direct deposit trace.

I want to cancel a direct deposit
I need to reverse a direct deposit, but the money is already in my employee's bank account

There are times when money is credited to an employee through direct deposit and the transaction needs to be reversed. You might have significantly overpaid an employee, or accidentally paid an employee twice. However, we usually don't attempt reversals. The best practice is to collect the funds back from the employee, even if the employee was terminated. If you collect the funds from the employee, contact us to void the direct deposit paycheck from our system. Although we can’t completely delete the paycheck, we can insert a negative entry that will cancel it out for tax and accounting purposes.

We can only start a direct deposit reversal process after a trace is run on a transaction and ALL of the following criteria are met:

• No more than 5 banking days have passed since the settlement date of the transaction.
  • You have no method of collecting the funds on your own from the employee and the employee is not willing to cooperate or return the funds to you.
  • You agree to a $75.00 reversal fee.

Contact us to request help with this process.

I need to turn off direct deposit for just one check

Click here for instructions on creating a paper check instead for one payroll.

I want to know about using international accounts for direct deposit

Sorry, you cannot use international accounts for your company payroll or for your employees' deposits.

I got an error message that my direct deposit is larger than normal

If you are paying bonuses or reimbursing large expenses, you might go over your security limit. We set the security limit to help protect you from fraudulent Automated Clearing House (ACH) activities. The limit is based on your average payroll.

To fix this problem, you can try to change your payroll totals so that you are under the limit. For example, you could pay bonuses by paper check rather than by direct deposit. Or you can request a higher limit. See Direct deposit security limits for information on how to request an increase to your security limit.

I got an error that you were unable to make a direct deposit to my account.

You'll see this message if your bank's routing number and your account number don't match or one of the numbers was entered incorrectly. If you've reentered the routing and account numbers and verified they are correct, contact us for help in resolving this issue.

See also

Still stuck? Contact us