Please note: this feature is not available if your file is on a hosted environment that uses roaming profiles.
You can now login to a Company File without having to enter a username and password every time!
Instead, you only have to login with your username and password once every few days and can open the Company File or switch to another Company File without having to re-enter your username and password, as long as you are using the same Windows user account. You will be required to enter your username and password again only if you have explicitly logged off from the Company File or when the login period has expired.
IMPORTANT things you need to know:
You, as the company Admin, should carefully evaluate the use of this option and the points below:
When multiple users are accessing the same Company File on the same computer, one user has to explicitly logoff before another user can login. If a user accidentally doesn’t logoff, another user can access the Company File without having to enter their username and password, as long as they are using the same Windows user account. In these multi-user scenarios, we recommend the Admin does not enable this option or requires users to log in using separate Windows user accounts.
This option is NOT available when Credit Card Protection is enabled for the Company File. If you have Credit Card information stored in the Company File and do NOT have Credit Card Protection manually enabled, we recommend that the Admin user DOES NOT enable this option.
Users selecting this new option must safeguard their computers and Windows accounts in order to ensure that their Company Files are protected. We also recommend to implement a screen timeout with a lock screen to ensure that access to the computer is controlled. For more details on protecting your computer, go to security.intuit.com.
Does this apply to all company files?
This is available to files that meet ALL of the following:
Credit Card Protection is NOT enabled
Only for .QBW and .QBA files
Pro/Premier/Enterprise 2017 R5, 2016 R10 and 2015 R13
Only Company Files in local (i.e. not hosted) environments
How do I turn it on?
This option is enabled by a Company Preference; it will not be available by default. It can only be enabled by the Company File’s Admin/Owner and will apply to all users. The Admin chooses how long user can remain logged in with a maximum of 90 days (default is 2 days).
To get to this preference setting:
Go to Company > Setup Users and Passwords > Manage Login Settings
Or, go to Or, go to Edit > Preferences > General > Company Preferences
Go to Company > Users > Manage Login Settings
Or, go to Edit > Preferences > General > Company Preferences
Does logging off change if I activate this option?
Once this option is enabled, there will be a new entry point for logging off:
Go to File > Preferences > Logoff from Company.
Note: If this option is enabled, File > Preferences > Close Company will only close the Company File but not logoff the user.
Other information to know:
Notes for all users:
- This option will not work for Company Files copied from one computer to another. You will be required to enter your username and password on the destination computer to login.
- A user logging in with a Windows user account will be required to enter a username and password to login.
- When multiple users are accessing the same Company File on the same computer, a user has to explicitly logoff before another user can login. If a user accidentally does not logoff, another user can access the Company File without having to enter a username and password, as long as they are using the same Windows user account.
- If a login fails under any circumstance (e.g. wrong password, admin changed password, password reset, logged in period has expired), a user must enter a username and password, and any previously saved credentials will be deleted.
- If a user has saved credentials for a Company File user in QuickBooks File Manager (QFM), opening the Company File from QFM will delete credentials from the Windows Vault. A user can continue opening the Company File from QFM but will be required to enter a username and password if opening the Company File directly.
The following applies to the Admin User:
- The Admin will have to update to QuickBooks Desktop 2017 R5, 2016 R10 or 2015 R13, if they want to disable this option for users who have already updated.
- When the Admin disables this option from the Company Preferences, any credentials saved previously for all users will be deleted or forgotten. Users will be required to enter a username and password on next login.
- In a multi-user setting, when the Admin changes this Company Preference, all non-admin users will be logged out.
- If the Admin enables Credit Card Protection, any credentials saved previously for all users will be deleted or forgotten. Users will be required to enter their username and password on next login. Also, the Admin will not be able to access this Company Preference any more.
- The Admin can delete all credentials at any time from the Windows Control Panel > Windows Vault. Credentials for QuickBooks start with prefix “Intuit_QBDT”.