You can cancel anytime in a few easy steps, just make sure you have Master or Company Administrator access.
Before you cancel, we recommend that you:
- Print all QuickBooks Online forms or reports that you might need.
Please note the following:
- Only you as the Master Administrator will be able to cancel your account while logged into QuickBooks Online. If you contact QuickBooks Online support, you'll be redirected back to your account to cancel yourself.
- You won't be able to cancel a QuickBooks Online company using the mobile app.
- Your QuickBooks Online account will be cancelled at the end of your current paid subscription period. This means you may still be able to use QuickBooks Online for a period of time after cancellation. For example, if you get billed on the 15th of each month and you cancel your subscription on the 1st, your account will remain active until the 15th of that month.
- If you are using QuickBooks Online with bundled payroll in Canada, the steps below will also cancel your payroll subscription. To cancel only payroll, click Cancel your QuickBooks Online Payroll subscription.
Steps to cancel QuickBooks Online:
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online (AU, CA or UK). When signing in, note the following:
- If you have companies under more than one user ID, be sure to use the user ID for the company you need to cancel.
- If you have more than one company under the same user ID, be sure to select the correct company on the Company Selection screen after signing in.
- If two subscriptions have been created for the same company by mistake, it may be difficult to tell which subscription needs to be canceled when signing in. Sign in to both subscriptions and view the Chart of Accounts or a Transaction List report for each. Once you know which subscription contains the lists/transactions you need to keep, sign in to the other subscription to cancel it.
- Click the Gear icon.
- Select Account and Settings (or Your Account depending on what you see).
- Select the Billing & Subscription tab.
- Click Cancel to the right of Subscription status.
- Answer all of the exit survey questions and click Continue. We'd like to hear why you're canceling your subscription so we can work to improve the program and its features. Once complete, you'll be prompted with a confirmation that "Your QuickBooks Online Subscription has been canceled" and the Master Admin will receive a confirmation email.
What happens to my data after cancellation?
The length of time QuickBooks Online stores your data depends on the status of your account:
- If you cancel your QuickBooks Online subscription, your data will be available in read-only access for 1 year from the cancellation date.
- If you cancel QuickBooks Online during the trial period or if your trial expires, your data will be available in read-only access for 30 days.
- If your credit card is declined at the time of billing, you'll have 14 days to update the billing information on your account. During this time, your account will remain active. After 14 days, your account will be suspended and your data will be available in read-only access for 1 year.
As long as you're within the read-only access period of your cancelled account, you'll still be able to export your data.
Note: If you resubscribe within 12 months of cancelling a paid QuickBooks Online subscription, you'll be able to access your earlier data. After 12 months, you can still resubscribe with the same credentials, but your data will no longer be available.