- 2 people found this useful
Use Remote Data Sharing (RDS) for financial exchanges with QuickBooks
Important: If QuickBooks and/or your QuickBooks data file reside on the same computer as your Point of Sale server, do not attempt to use the Remote Data Sharing--it will not work.
Remote Data Sharing (RDS) is an alternate method for exchanging information between Point of Sale and your QuickBooks financial software over your local area network. This method allows you to share data without installing QuickBooks on your Point of Sale Server Workstation.
- Doesn't require QuickBooks financial software to be installed on your Point of Sale server workstation, which may be accessible to employees
- Offers additional security benefits
- More complex to set up and use than other integration methods
- Terminology is confusing: "Server" and "Client" for RDS purposes do not correlate with the Point of Sale "Server" and "Client" workstations
- During data exchanges, QuickBooks and the RDS server application must be running, and your file open on the computer that has QuickBooks installed
This version of RDS is compatible with:
- Microsoft Windows 7
- Microsoft Windows Vista
- Microsoft Windows XP
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and 2008
To use RDS to exchange information between Point of Sale and QuickBooks:
- Print the RDS Guide to use as a reference while installing and configuring the RDS utilities. This guide includes screenshots of the process.
- On the computer where QuickBooks and the QuickBooks data file resides, download the RDS Server Installer, saving it on your Windows desktop.
- On the computer where Point of Sale is installed, download the RDS Client Installer, saving it on your Windows desktop.
- Follow the instructions in the RDS Guide to install and configure the applications.
If this solution does not resolve the issue, you can read discussions and post messages and questions relating to your issue on the QuickBooks Point of Sale Community Forum. You can also review other available support options for additional guidance.
Do you still have a question?
Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.Post your question to the community