For the most up to date tutorials, videos, and other import guidance, please see our QuickBooks Import Resource Center.
Moving files over from QuickBooks for Mac? We've created this step-by-step guide just for you. If you have an older version than 2012, download a free trial here: QuickBooks for Mac 2014 Trial then follow the steps below once it's installed.
Using QuickBooks for Windows? See Import into QuickBooks Online from QuickBooks Desktop for Windows for your steps
Before you get started:
- You can only import QuickBooks Desktop data within the first 60 days of your QuickBooks Online company start date. If imported, your QuickBooks Desktop file will also replace your entire QuickBooks Online file and overwrite any existing information.
- You must be an Administrator level user on your Quickbooks Online account.
- You must be logged in as the Admin user in your Desktop file.
- Your QuickBooks file must be under 350,000 targets (file size does not matter). To trim it down, see Trimming your QuickBooks Windows file for import
- If you receive any errors regarding the file you're importing, see Errors Importing to QuickBooks Online
- To understand key differences and unsupported features prior to moving, see What's not imported when you move from desktop to online.
Note: Inventory can only be imported from QuickBooks for Windows. If you would like to import your inventory, please save your company as a QuickBooks for Windows file, open on a Windows machine, and import using the latest version of QuickBooks for Windows.
- If your screen has the export option shown below, continue to the next step. If you don't see this option, and you are on QuickBooks Mac 2012 or later, you will just need to download a couple updates by going to QuickBooks > Check for QuickBooks Updates and update to the latest revision. (This may require you to restart QuickBooks)
2. Sign in to QuickBooks Online using your User ID and Password, or choose Create a New account if you haven't created one yet
At this point, if you receive an error or are having any other issues making a copy of your company file, please see the help article to Update QuickBooks for Mac - https://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/HOW12368.
3. Click OK, got it. We'll send you an email when the import is done with a link to sign in!
- Once you have completed the import, sign in to your QuickBooks Online account.
- We suggest you compare the Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet standard reports in QBO and in QuickBooks Desktop to ensure that your data was transferred correctly.
- See What to do after completing an import to QuickBooks Online from QuickBooks Desktop Mac/Windows (US) for next steps.