The Non-inventory item type is used in cases where you have an item that you buy and/or sell but don't need to (or can't) track quantities of. With the addition of the Non-inventory item type QuickBooks Online has previously made changes to your existing items.
• If you have items where quantity on hand is not enabled, we automatically classified these as Non-inventory items.
• Any Items where quantity on hand is being tracked are now classified as Inventory items.
• Service items remain unchanged.
- The Item or Service designation has no impact on sales tax.
- If you have Non-inventory items or Services that you would like to re-classify, you can use Change type in a batch action to reclassify them.
To change Services to Non-inventory items:1. From Gear > Products and Services, select all the Services to be changed to Non-inventory items by using the check boxes next to each service name.
2. Click the Change type drop down button on the upper right and select Make non-inventory item.
To change Non-inventory items to Services:1. From Gear > Products and Services, select all the Non-inventory items to be changed to Services by using the check boxes next to each item name.
2. Click the Change type drop down button on the upper right and select Make service.
To change Non-inventory item or Service to an Inventory item (Note: this change is not reversible):1. From Gear > Products and Services, click on Edit for the item to be changed to Inventory item.
2. Click Change type link towards top of page.
3. Select Inventory item.
4. Scroll down and enter the Initial quantity on hand.
5. Enter the As of date (Note: As of date needs to be a date prior to any transactions that use this item).
6. Enter Inventory asset, Income, and Expense accounts.
7. Enter Sales Price, Cost, and Sales/Purchasing descriptions.
8. Hit Save and close button.
Note: Once any item type is marked as an Inventory item it cannot be converted to any other type. If the item is classified as an Inventory item and needs to be changed, a new item needs to be entered in its place and marked for the appropriate type.
Here's a summary of the item type changes we support:
|From||To||Batch Edit||Single Edit|
- Inventory item: Items you buy and/or sell and that you track quantities of.
- Non-inventory item: Items you buy and/or sell, but don’t need to (or can’t) track quantities of. For example, nuts and bolts used in an installation.
- Service: Services that you provide to customers. For example, landscaping or tax preparation services.
- Bundle item: The Bundle item type is used in cases where you have a collection of products/and/or services that you sell together, for example, a gift basket of fruit and cheese and wine.
You have a choice on whether you want to display Bundle components when printing or sending transactions. When editing the Bundle item look for the checkbox under the heading, Products/services included in the bundle, and select how you want your Bundle items to appear.
Note: The Bundle item type can be created and used in the browser version of QuickBooks Online only; it is not supported in Android or iOS mobile apps at this time.