If you're looking to export your data from QuickBooks Online, here's a quick visual guide for you to use.
To export your data from QuickBooks Online:
- Run Internet Explorer and Quickbooks Desktopas the Administrator even if you are logged in to your computer as the Admin.
- Turn off Protected Mode from Internet Options (Alt+X).
Note: After doing this, you will have to close/reopen Internet Explorer for Protected Mode to be truly disabled. Repeat step 1 before opening Internet Explorer if you have to disable Protected
- Add https://*.intuit.com, https://*.qbo.intuit.com, and https://*.quickbooks.intuit.com to your browser's Trusted Sites Zone (instructions).
Note: Make sure the require server verification box is unchecked. You can also refer to add Intuit as a trusted site for more detailed instructions on how to add trusted sites.
- Navigate to the Homepage then select the Gear icon then Export Data from the menu.
- Look over the step by step Export Overview. Select Get Started.
- Select Install the ActiveX control. If the Install button is grayed-out, select Continue then skip to Step 9.
- Confirm ActiveX installation.
- Select Continue.
- Now that ActiveX is installed, let's start the Export. Select Continue.
- Select the data to export then choose Continue.
- Review limitations of what information will be exported.
Important: This step tells you how your data will be changed after the export! Select Continue.
- Enter your contact information.This is where you will be notified once the file is ready!
- Now its just a matter of waiting for the email for when the data is ready!
You'll receive an email with steps to complete the export conversion within 1-2 hours. After you receive it, follow those steps to open the file in your QuickBooks desktop edition:
- Go to your company Homepage in QuickBooks Online. Begin the export process again, since now your company info has been generated.
- Follow the prompts until you reach this screen, then select Continue to Download.
- Select Download.
- A pop-up window will appear and ask you where you'd like to save the file (we suggest the Desktop folder). NOTE: Don't change the name of the file (you can name the file in the next step), just point it to the Desktop then select Save.
- Don't worry if the download takes longer than a few minutes.
- Depending on file size, it may cause IE to be unresponsive during the process as well. Not to worry, it's hard work putting all that complex information onto your local machine!
- Make sure QuickBooks Desktop is Open and showing the "No Company Open" screen.
- Having no company open in Desktop will allow QuickBooks Online to better communicate with it when it attempts to generate a .QBW file.
- If you have a file open, you can go to File then Close Company.
- After the file downloads, select Convert Now.
- Save the file in the same directory where you installed QuickBooks desktop. If you're having trouble finding it, here's a chart that will help.
- Make sure to store the file to your Local Computer,"Stored on your local computer" means stored on the hard drive, not on an external drive, a CD or DVD drive, USB drive or a Network Attached Storage.
- The conversion process will now begin and you'll see a status bar.
- If the status bar isn't moving, you probably need to allow access to your QuickBooks desktop edition. If that is the case, minimize all your windows or click on the QuickBooks desktop edition application on your taskbar:
- When you've located the certificate, select Yes, prompt each time or Yes, this time then select Continue.
- You'll get a pop-up window confirming that you've granted access. Select Done.
- The final step is to run some reports to confirm that your data successfully converted. Choose the reports to view the information and then select Finished.
In order to compare the data accurately, pull up these reports:
- Profit and Loss
- Balance Sheet
- Ensure that you are running the reports to include All Dates.
- Your accounting method must be set to Accrual.
IMPORTANT: If you lowered your security settings in following the steps in this article, be sure to change them back so that you don't leave yourself open to viruses when navigating to other websites in Internet Explorer.