Here's a visual guide you can use when exporting your data from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop.
To export your data from QuickBooks Online
- Run Internet Explorer and Quickbooks Desktop as the Administrator even if you are logged in to your computer as the Admin.
- Turn off Protected Mode from Internet options (Alt+X), then add https://*.intuit.com, https://*.qbo.intuit.com, and https://*.quickbooks.intuit.com to your browser's Trusted Sites Zone.
Note: After doing this, you will have to close/reopen Internet Explorer for Protected Mode to be truly disabled. Repeat step 1 before opening Internet Explorer if you have to disable Protected.
- Select the Gear icon at the top. Under Tools, choose Export Data.
- Look over the steps in Export Overview, then choose Get Started on the bottom right.
- Select Install for the ActiveX control, then choose Install ActiveX Control Now to confirm the installation.
Note: There will be another window that will prompt for the next steps to install ActiveX.
- After successfully installing ActiveX, select Continue.
- Choose the data you want to export then select Continue on the bottom right.
- Review the limitations of the data that will be exported, then select Continue.
- Enter your contact information, then select Continue on the bottom right. You’ll receive an email with the following steps to complete the export conversion within 1 – 2 hours.
- Repeat step 4, then follow the prompts until you reach the screen that shows the next step.
- Choose your preferred option then select Continue on the bottom right.
- Follow the steps, then select Download.
- A pop-up window will appear and ask where you’d like to save the file (we suggest the Desktop folder), then select Convert Now.
- In the Application Certificate choose Yes, prompt each time.
- Select Continue, then choose Done to grant access.
- For the final step, select Finished on the bottom right then run some reports to confirm that your data is successfully converted.
We suggest you run 2 reports in both QuickBooks Online and in QuickBooks for Windows to ensure your data was transferred correctly.
- Profit and Loss
- Balance Sheet
In order to compare data accurately, 2 things are vital to verify your reports in both products:
- Ensure that you are running the reports to include All Dates.
- Your accounting method must be set to Accrual.
Important: If you lowered your security settings in following the steps, be sure to change them back so that you don't leave your computer open to viruses when navigating to other websites in Internet Explorer.6546