Here are the steps for importing an already-existing Chart of Accounts to QuickBooks Online.
Reminders when importing your Chart of Accounts
- Select the Gear icon at the top.
- Under Tools, choose Import Data.
- From the list, select Charts of Accounts.
NOTE: Make sure your file fits the requirements for import (must be a .CSV or Excel file format and must have Account Type and Name fields). If you'd like, you can download our sample file.
- In the Import Accounts page, select the Browse button.
- Find and select the Excel file, then click Open.
- Select Next to continue.
- Map your data, then select Next.
- The next page will show the accounts that are ready to be imported. If you're missing critical fields, QuickBooks will tell you with instructions (such as Choose type, Choose detail type, or both).
- Adjust your data if necessary then select Import.
You may get the message Error while reading the file. Format may be incorrect. If this happens:
- Make sure the headings in columns A-D are: Account Number, Account Name, Account Type and Detail Type.
- The Description field does not import.
- Headings are necessary, even if the column is empty or has no data. Entering headings should clear out the error.
If you're trying to start a new QuickBooks Online company with a Chart of Accounts from an existing QuickBooks Online company, see Transfer Chart of Accounts and lists to a new QuickBooks Online company.4762