This is your go-to article for all questions about emailing sales transactions.  This covers your options, what you can and can't do, etc.

Forget about hassling with postage, envelopes and the like!  It's an electronic world and QuickBooks Online can help you communicate with your customers faster by allowing you to email your sales forms.  You can now attach documents to your emailed sales transactions.

Six types of transactions can be emailed out of QuickBooks Online to your customers.  These include:

• Invoices
  • Sales receipts
  • Statements
  • Estimates/Quotes
  • Credit memos/Adjustment Note 
  • Purchase orders

To set up the options for your emails, click the Gear Icon > Account and Settings > Sales.

• Customize look and feel lets you customize the title of the form; activity data to print; grouping and subtotaling of activity, including logos, return addresses, and email addresses and how to position them on which type of form; font, text size, etc.
  • Sales form content lets you decide if you want to default to emailing or printing sales forms for your customers.  This can also be controlled independently for individual customers. This section also lets you turn on or off other functions like custom fields, service dates, and more.
  • Product and services lets you show the products/services column on sales forms.
    • Choose to show the SKU column
    • Track quantity and rate.
    • Track inventory quantity on hand (QOH).
  • Messages lets you customize the way you send your customers their sales forms via email.
    • You can insert a greeting before the message text.
    • Choose the greeting format and what name you want to call the customer.
    • Set up your standard message for each type of sales form, including the subject line and message body.
      • Tip: Include the invoice number by using the tag [Invoice No.] in the subject line.
    • Choose to be copied on all emails sent to customers.   
  • Reminders lets you email a reminder to your customers.
    • You can customize the reminder.
    • Choose the greeting format and what name you want to call the customer.
    • Choose to be copied on all reminders sent to customers.
  • Online delivery gives you some control over how your forms come through to the customer.
    • Attach sales form as PDF
      • If you check this box, your sales form will be included as an Adobe PDF attachment, which will retain all the formatting of your invoice, even the colors.
      • You can also choose to include the summary information or a full version of the sales form in the email itself
  • Statements lets you customize the form and show how much detail to include.
Note: Australian Customers use Accept Payments with Paypal.  
      • If you don't want your customer to see any changes to invoices, you would need to change this setting to HTML or Plain Text Email.
    • HTML email will send the invoice in a nice easy to read format. They will not be able to access the invoice via a link like with the Online Invoice option and you will need to re-send the invoice if you make any changes you need the customer to see.
    • Plain text email will send the invoice in a non-formatted version. This will not contain a link either.
    • Attach invoice as pdf will allow the customer to view and print a full PDF of the invoice in addition to the format you select in the email options for invoices drop down.

Why does my customer see QuickBooks as the sender on my emailed transactions?

Your customers may notice that when you send them a transaction the return email address is listed as "quickbooks@notification.intuit.com". This is due to a great feature we've added to emailed invoices! The reason the email comes from there is because we put in an awesome feature that allows you to message your customer back and forth directly within the invoice in QuickBooks Online! This makes it very easy to see what your customer has said and message them back all without leaving QuickBooks Online.

If you pull up the invoice you'll see a section at the bottom that says "Activities". This will show you exactly when the invoice was sent, when the customer viewed it and any messages that have been sent back and forth. To send them a message simply put it into "Write a message about this invoice" box and the customer will receive an email letting them know you've sent them a message.

Although this feature is in place, you and your customer can still email each other through the actual email that is sent. Your customers can still reply to the actual email and once they click reply it will direct the email to your email address. If you would prefer your customers use this method to contact you we suggest putting a message on the "Body" portion when sending the invoice that tells them to reply directly from the email rather than using the messaging feature once they open the invoice link. You'll see this section on the email preview screen after you click Save and Send.

Need to send sales forms to more than one address?   See How can I send/email a single sales transaction, statement or reports to multiple email addresses?

Need to see which sales transactions were emailed?  See How do I see which sales transactions were emailed? 

Need to see if your statements were emailed?  See How can I determine if a statement was sent via email?

Did you send an emailed sales transaction, but you're not sure if your customer received it?  See How can I tell if a customer has received an emailed sales transaction?

Are you getting bounce notifications for your sent emails?  See Bounced Emails for invoices/Recurring Templates/Statements/Reports/Invites for new users.

Do you need  to change or recall an emailed transaction?   See Can I recall emailed reports or sales transactions?

Need to print a bunch of sales transactions at once?  See How do I email or print multiple invoices or sales transactions all at one time?

Want to add a link in your sales form email?  See How do I add a link in the body of the email on a Sales Form?

Now you can email attachments with your sales transactions! Here's how:

1. Start from the sales transaction page you'd like to send an attachment with (invoice, estimate or sales receipt).
  2. Create the sales transaction as normal.
  3. Toward the bottom of the page, in the Attachments box, click Add File, then browse to find the file on your system and click Open. Or, you can drag and drop the file into the Drop files here box.
  4. After the file loads, your attachment will be ready to email whenever you email the sales transaction.
  5. To make sure the file is sent with the transaction, select the Attach to email checkbox next to the uploaded file.
  6. Click Save and send.