Ready to download and install QuickBooks? Great, we'll help you all the way through! It's as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- If this is the first time you're installing this version of QuickBooks:
- For a downloaded product, look in the purchase confirmation email you received from Intuit, or sign into the Account Management site and view your software.
- If you purchased QuickBooks on CD, look for the scratch-off label on the original packaging (next to the UPC code).
- ProAdvisors can also view their software information in the ProAdvisor section of QuickBooks Online Accountant.
- If you have not previously registered your QuickBooks software and you still can't find your license and product number, our knowledge base article on missing or illegible installation numbers may help.
- If you have previously registered your QuickBooks software, you can get help finding your license number or key code with our License Look Up Tool.
There are a couple of different sources for your software. You can:
- Go to the QuickBooks support site.
- Click on Choose a different product and select your desired product (Note: if you're a ProAdvisor, click on the link below the Download button).
- Click on the Download button.
- Based on your web browser, you'll either need to:
- click on Setup_QuickBooks (generally at the bottom of your screen), or
- choose to Run the setup file when your browser prompts you
- go to your Downloads folder and double click on Setup_QuickBooks.
- Now, continue to the Install Instructions below.
- Insert the QuickBooks installation CD to get started (it should automatically launch the installation process).
- Click on the Install Instructions below.
Although it doesn't happen often, occasionally you may run into some difficulty installing QuickBooks. Here are some other articles that might help:
- If you encounter an error while installing QuickBooks, follow the steps in this article to fix it.
- If you have been using a previous version of QuickBooks, this article will help you update your company file to the newer version.
- If you have had problems with an installed version of QuickBooks and need to reinstall, this article can help.
Frequently Asked Questions
To move QuickBooks from one computer to another:
- Install and activate QuickBooks on the new computer.
- Back up the company file on the old computer.
- Restore the backup on the new computer.
By default, QuickBooks stores company files in this location:
However, company files can be manually saved anywhere on your hard drive. If you cannot find your company data file, search your hard drive for *.qbw files and try to find it that way. Make sure to include hidden files and folders in your search criteria.
Refer to the following resources for information about installing QuickBooks in a multi-user environment:
Yes. You can download your software from the Downloads & Updates page.
A Linux computer can only be used as a database server to store shared company data files. For more information, refer to Preparing to install Linux Database Server Manager.
To install QuickBooks on a Macintosh, you must own a license for QuickBooks for Mac. If you do, refer to Installing or reinstalling QuickBooks on a Macintosh.