- QuickBooks 2014 & Older
- 20 people found this useful
Preparing to install QuickBooks
Ready to install QuickBooks? Great, we'll help you all the way through! It's as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- If this is the first time you're installing this version of QuickBooks:
- For a downloaded product, look in the purchase confirmation email you received from Intuit.
- If you purchased QuickBooks on CD, look for the scratch-off label on the original packaging (next to the UPC code).
- ProAdvisor should go to the member support site for installation codes.
- If you have not previously registered your QuickBooks software and you still can't find your license and product number, our knowledge base article on missing or illegible installation numbers may help.
- If you have previously registered your QuickBooks software, you can get help finding your license number or key code with our License Look Up Tool.
There are a couple of different sources for your software. You can:
- Go to the QuickBooks support site.
- Click on Choose a different product and select your desired product (Note: if you're a ProAdvisor, click on the link below the Download button).
- Click on the Download button.
- Based on your web browser, you'll either need to:
- click on Setup_QuickBooks (generally at the bottom of your screen), or
- go to your Downloads folder and double click on Setup_QuickBooks.
- Now, click on the Install Instructions below.
- Insert the QuickBooks installation CD to get started (it should automatically launch the installation process).
- Click on the Install Instructions below.
- Select your version of QuickBooks below to be directed to another article with step-by-step instructions just for you and your product.
Although it doesn't happen often, occasionally you may run into some difficulty installing QuickBooks. Here are some other articles that might help:
- Occasionally, third party applications, such as anti virus and anti-spy ware programs, can interfere with the successful installation of QuickBooks. As a result, you may want to Install QuickBooks in Selective Startup (HOW12639).
- If you encounter an error while installing QuickBooks, you can go to the troubleshooting section of the Install Center.
- If you have been using a previous version of QuickBooks, this article will help you update your company file to the newer version (HOW12071).
- If you have had problems with an installed version of QuickBooks and need to reinstall, this article can help (HOW12212).
Frequently Asked Questions
To move QuickBooks from one computer to another:
- Install and activate QuickBooks on the new computer.
- Back up the company file on the old computer.
- Restore the backup on the new computer.
The location where QuickBooks automatically stores your company data files depends on your operating system and QuickBooks version:
Default Company File Location
Windows 8, 7 or Vista
|Enterprise Solutions 14.0 or later
Pro or Premier 2014 or later
If you cannot find your company data file, search your hard drive for *.qbw files and try to find it that way. Make sure to include hidden files and folders in your search criteria.
Refer to the following resources for information about installing QuickBooks in a multi-user environment:
Yes. You may download from: Download QuickBooks Products
A Linux computer can only be used as a database server to store shared company data files. For more information, refer to Preparing to install Linux Database Server Manager.
To install QuickBooks on a Macintosh, refer to Installing or reinstalling QuickBooks on a Macintosh.
Do you still have a question?
Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.Post your question to the community