Preparing to install QuickBooks
Ready to install QuickBooks? Great, we'll help you all the way through! It's as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- If this is the first time you're installing this version of QuickBooks:
- For a downloaded product, look in the purchase confirmation email you received from Intuit.
- If you purchased QuickBooks on CD, look for the scratch-off label on the original packaging (next to the UPC code).
- ProAdvisor should go to the member support site for installation codes.
- If you have not previously registered your QuickBooks software and you still can't find your license and product number, our knowledge base article on missing or illegible installation numbers may help.
- If you have previously registered your QuickBooks software, you can get help finding your license number or key code with our License Look Up Tool.
There are a couple of different sources for your software. You can:
- Go to the QuickBooks support site.
- Click on Choose a different product and select your desired product (Note: if you're a ProAdvisor, click on the link below the Download button).
- Click on the Download button.
- Based on your web browser, you'll either need to:
- click on Setup_QuickBooks (generally at the bottom of your screen), or
- go to your Downloads folder and double click on Setup_QuickBooks.
- Now, click on the Install Instructions below.
- Insert the QuickBooks installation CD to get started (it should automatically launch the installation process).
- Click on the Install Instructions below.
- Select your version of QuickBooks below to be directed to another article with step-by-step instructions just for you and your product.
Although it doesn't happen often, occasionally you may run into some difficulty installing QuickBooks. Here are some other articles that might help:
- Occasionally, third party applications, such as anti virus and anti-spy ware programs, can interfere with the successful installation of QuickBooks. As a result, you may want to Install QuickBooks in Selective Startup (HOW12639).
- If you encounter an error while installing QuickBooks, you can go to the troubleshooting section of the Install Center.
- If you have been using a previous version of QuickBooks, this article will help you update your company file to the newer version (HOW12071).
- If you have had problems with an installed version of QuickBooks and need to reinstall, this article can help (HOW12212).