How do I link a supplier refund cheque to a supplier credit?
How do I pay my bills using my supplier credits?
Why do I have supplier credits?

How do I link a supplier refund cheque to a supplier credit? 

Note:  Before going through this process, make sure the supplier credit is already entered; if it's not, search In Product Help for Entering a supplier credit and follow the instructions provided.

First, if it is not already input into QBO, enter the supplier refund cheque in the Deposits  screen.

1. Choose Plus Sign Icon > Bank Deposits.
  2. In the Add New Deposits section (underneath the Select Exisiting Payments section) enter the following information:
    • In the Received From field select or enter the desired supplier.
    • In the Account field, select the Accounts Payable account.
    • In the Amount field, enter the amount of the cheque.
  3. Click Save and Close.

Now, enter the supplier credit:

1. Choose Plus Sign Icon > Supplier Credit.
  2. In the Choose a Supplier field, select the appropriate supplier name.
  3. Enter the Date, Amount, and Account (the account used here is typically the original expense account on the original bill.)
  4. Click Save and Close

Next, go to the cheques screen to link the deposit with the supplier credit.

1. Choose Plus Sign Icon > Cheque.
  2. In the Choose a payee field, select the desired supplier (This will bring up any outstanding credits and bills).
  3. Leave the Cheque #, Date, Amount, and Memo fields as they are (no need to change or fill in).
  4. Under the Add to Cheque section, locate the Deposit, then click add.
  5. Under the Add to Cheque section, locate the Supplier Credit, then click add.
  6. On the bottom right, click Save and Close.

How do I pay my bills using my supplier credits?

To enter the supplier credit:

1. Choose Plus Sign Icon > Supplier Credit.
  2. In the Choose a supplier field, select the appropriate supplier name.
  3. Enter the Date, Amount, and Account (the account used here is typically the original expense account on the original bill.)
  4. Click Save and Close.

To pay your bills using your supplier credits:

1. Choose Plus Sign Icon > Cheque.
  2. In the Choose a supplier field, select the desired supplier. (This will bring up any outstanding credits and bills).
  3. Leave the Cheque #, Date, Amount, and Memo fields as they are (no need to change or fill in).
  4. Under the Add to Cheque section, locate the Bill, then click add.
  5. Under the Add to Cheque section, locate the Supplier Credit, then click add.
  6. On the bottom right click Save and Close.

Why do I have supplier credits?

If you recorded cheques for suppliers in the Cheques screen and didn't enter bills, you will end up with negative balances for your suppliers.

To fix this, either go back and delete the bill payments and replace them with Cheque, or simply enter one or multiple bills to link the bill payments to.