In Quickbooks Online Plus and Essentials, you can keep track of billable time by job. Set up jobs as sub-customers to keep all your billable expenses organized.
Add a sub-customer
- From the left menu, select Sales or Invoicing then Customers.
- Select New customer.
- Enter all the appropriate information for that sub-customer.
- Select the Is sub-customer check box.
- From the Enter parent customer drop-down, choose the parent customer.
- Choose Bill with Parent.
- Select Save.
Once set up, your Customers page would look something like this:
After you set up your job/project as a sub-customer, you need to turn on a few settings.
Turn on billable time
- Select the Gear icon at the top.
- Under Your Company, select Account and Settings (or Company Settings).
- Select Advanced tab on the left.
- In the Time tracking section, select the edit (pencil) icon.
- Ensure the Make Single-Time Activity Billable to Customer box is checked.
- (Optional) Select Show billing rate to users entering time. If you bill customers a different hourly rate than you pay your employees and subcontractors, you may want to leave this blank.
- Select Save.
Enter or record time as billable
You can enter billable time through the Single Activity Time Sheet and the Weekly Time Sheet.
- Select the Plus icon (+) at the top.
- Under the Employees, choose Single Time Activity or Weekly Timesheet.
- Enter the information. You will be able to mark it billable to the customer as well as track your time.
Add billable time to invoice
Once you have entered time, marked them as Billable, and entered the customer's (that is, sub-customer's) name, you will see all billable time ready to be included when you create invoices.1095