QuickBooks now offers a feature called Projects to track your job costs or projects profitability for customers based in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Australia. You can see the details here: QuickBooks Online Projects
Currently, QuickBooks Online does not offer a specific job-costing feature for Brazil, France, India and Singapore.
As an optional workaround , it can be done by setting up your jobs as sub-customers (or sub-clients, etc.), and selecting the Bill with Parent option. You will also have to customize reports for your sub-customers.
For example, the Customer Center contains:
Jane Doe: Brochures
Jane Doe: Letterhead
Once you have set up your job/project as a sub-customer, turn on Billable Expenses and Products/Services. The Use billable expenses and products/services preference puts a Billable check box on purchases you make (using Enter Bills, Write Checks/Cheques, Enter Credit Card Charges, or Enter Cash Purchase ). Checking Billable lets you specify that an expense should automatically flow to a customer's next invoice.
To turn on Billable Expenses and Products/Services:
- Click on the Gear icon > Company Settings/ Account and Settings
- Click on Expenses from the menu on the left
- In the Bills and expenses section, click on the Edit icon
Note: This option is only available in QuickBooks Online Plus
- Place a check in the box for Track expenses and items by customers and Make expenses and items billable
- (Optional) Set the markup rate.
- (Optional) Change the account you wish Billable Expenses to affect. By default system lists Billable Expense Income.
- Click Save
Use Billable Expenses and Products/Services turns on expense-tracking by customer and multiple split-lines, so you can more easily enter billable expenses. If you are going to bill for time on jobs, you must turn on one extra preference:
- Choose the Gear icon > Company Setting/ Account and Settings
- Choose Advanced from the menu on the left
- In the Time tracking section, choose on the Edit icon
- Place a check in the box to Make Single-Time Activity Billable to Customer.
- (Optional) Choose Show Billing Rate to users entering time
- Click Save
Once you have entered time and expenses, marked them all as Billable, and entered the customer's (that is, sub-customer's) name, you will see all open charges ready to be included on when you create invoices.
To Use Billable Time, you can enter billable time through Single Activity Time Sheet and the Weekly Time Sheet.
- Click the Plus Sign (+) > Single or Weekly Time Sheet
- Enter the information - you'll be able to mark it billable to the customer as well as track your time.