There's a BIG difference between disconnecting and deleting an account.
When you disconnect an account:
- It stays active in QuickBooks Online but you stop QuickBooks Online from getting your transactions from your bank.
- You can reconnect the account later, if you want to.
- Any transactions in your For Review tab will be deleted. If they're older than 90 days, you won't be able to download them into QuickBooks Online again.
When you delete an account from QuickBooks Online, there may be unintended consequences.
- The account will be made inactive in QuickBooks Online. You won't see it anymore unless you go to your chart of accounts and use the Gear icon to show inactive accounts.
- If the account has a non-zero balance, QuickBooks Online will make an adjusting transaction.
- Although you can make a deleted account active again, you may need to make corrections to journal entries and balances.
- If transactions in the deleted account appeared in other accounts in QuickBooks Online, the transactions will remain in those other accounts. For example, if you delete a credit card account but you made payments to that card from your checking/chequing account, the payments will stay in the checking/chequing account with (deleted) next to the credit card name in the Account field.
If you're not sure whether to delete an account, check with your accounting professional before you delete.
If your connected account is in the middle of an update, the option to disconnect the account will not be available. Please wait for the update attempt to complete before trying to disconnect.
Important: If you want to disconnect an account because of an error with the bank connection, we do not recommend that you disconnect the account's connection. While you can disconnect and reconnect an account, you might download duplicate transactions or duplicate opening balance entries when the account is reconnected. Instead, try resolving the problem with information in the article Fix online banking errors in QuickBooks Online. If you still cannot resolve the problem, please contact with Customer Care.
To disconnect an account:
- From the left menu, select Banking then Banking.
- Select the Edit (pencil) icon on the account you want to change.
- In the Account window, check the Disconnect this account on save box.
- Select Save and Close.
To delete an account:Important: Be sure you understand the effects of fully deleting an account.
- Select the Gear icon at the top.
- Under Your Company, choose Chart of Accounts.
- Find the account you want to delete in the list.
- In the Action drop-down, select Delete.
- Confirm that you want to delete the account.