QuickBooks Online does not assign account numbers since not everyone uses the same numbering system. However, it does allow you to turn on, use and assign account numbers to your Chart of Accounts.
Note: Assigning account numbers will change the order in which your accounts are listed within the Chart of Accounts and in your reporting. Accounts will be listed first numerically then alphabetically.
First, turn on the Setting for using account numbers.
- Choose the Gear icon > Company Settings
- Choose Advanced from the menu on the left.
- In the Chart of Accounts section, click on the Edit icon.
- Place a check mark in the box Enable accounts numbers, and Use account numbers.
- Click Save and Done.
Next, assign your account numbers.
- Choose the Gear icon > Chart of Accounts.
- Click on the Edit icon on the uppser right hand side.
- Enter your Account Numbers in blank box (Account numbers can be up to 7-digits long).
- Click the Save button (Upper right) when you're done with entering your account numbers.