While you aren't required to use account numbers in your Chart of Accounts, you can enable and use it to easily understand and organize the finances of your business.
Enable account numbers
- Select the Gear icon at the top, then Account and Settings (or Company Settings).
- Choose Advanced from the left menu.
- In the Chart of Accounts section, select the edit (pencil) icon.
- Select Enable account numbers and Show account numbers.
Note: Enabling account numbers affects all users in your company. Showing account numbers only affects the user that's logged in.
- Select Save, then Done.
Note: To disable account numbers, uncheck Enable account numbers.
Assign your account numbers
Reminder: QuickBooks Online doesn't assign account numbers because of different numbering systems.
- Select the Gear icon at the top, then Chart of Accounts.
- Select the edit (pencil) icon above the Action column.
- Under the Number column, enter the account numbers. (Account numbers can be up to 7-digits long).
- Select Save on the upper right after you're done entering your account numbers.