Moving your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac file to QuickBooks Online? Here's a step-by-step guide to help you get it done.
If you are using QuickBooks for Windows, refer instead to Convert QuickBooks Desktop file into QuickBooks Online (US only).
Step 1: Review some critical information before you start converting your file
- If you are using a QuickBooks for Mac version older than 2016, download and install the free trial, before converting to QuickBooks Online.
- You must be logged in as the Administrator in both your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac company file and your QuickBooks Online account.
- You can only convert your QuickBooks Desktop data within the first 60 days of your QuickBooks Online company start date. When you convert, your Desktop file will replace your Online file and overwrite any existing information.
- Do not convert your file if you've already turned on Payroll in QuickBooks Online.
- Your QuickBooks file must be under 350,000 targets (file size does not matter). If you're over the target limit, you'll only be given the option to import your lists and/or balances.
- Inventory can only be imported from QuickBooks Desktop for Windows. If you want to import your inventory, save your company file as a QuickBooks Desktop for Windows file, open it on a Windows computer, then import using the latest version of QuickBooks for Windows.
- There are some information that may not be imported when you move from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online.
- If you receive any errors while importing, you can fix errors when converting to QuickBooks Online.
Step 2: Export your QuickBooks Desktop Mac file
- Open your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac company file.
- Go to File > Export to QuickBooks Online.
Don’t’ see the option to export? If you don’t have the option and you’re using QuickBooks Desktop for Mac 2016 or later, update QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
Step 3: Connect to QuickBooks Online to import your data
- Sign in to your existing QuickBooks Online account using your user ID and password.
Note: Creating new account is not recommended during import.
Having trouble making a copy of your file? If at this point, you encounter an error or are having issues making a copy of the company file, update QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
- Select OK, got it.
You’ll receive an email confirmation once the import is done. Note that it can take up to 24 hours.