QuickBooks Online gives you the option to customize a standard template you can use for all transaction types or create your own custom template for specific transactions. Creating a custom template allows you to do advanced customization, but this is only available for invoices, estimates, and sales receipts.
Here are some sample scenarios that will help you understand how forms customization in QuickBooks Online works.
- In order to have a red invoice and blue purchase order, customize the master template to be blue and create a new red template for your invoice.
- You can't have a green statement and blue purchase orders since they are both using the master template by default. Remember that you can only create custom templates for invoices, estimates and sales receipts.
- If you want your business contact information to appear on invoices but not on purchase orders, remove your business contact information on the master template and create a new template without the the contact information for your invoices.
Customize your forms
Here are the steps to customize your forms. To learn more, you can also watch this QuickBooks Online tutorial video:
- Select the Gear icon at the top, then Custom Form Styles.
- From the New style drop-down, choose the type of transaction you are trying to customize.
- Select a tab to start customizing your form template.
Design: Go through the following items and personalize them as needed.
- Change up the template / Dive in with the template: Choose from a variety of templates. Take note that while you can choose your template, you can't drag or rearrange boxes.
- Make logo edits: Upload, resize, relocate and hide your logo here.
- Splash on some color: Choose your desired color or use html color codes to customize your color palette.
- Get choosy with your font: Select a font that fits your business. Set the font and line height to Arial MS (MultiLingual) to see multilingual characters such as Chinese.
- Edit Print Settings: Adjust how your forms will print in this section.
Content: Select the section of the form from the preview on the right to make changes.
- Header: The topmost part of the form where you can customize your business and basic information. You can add up to 3 custom fields here.
- Table: The middle part is where you can select the fields you want to show on your forms, including the account summary.
- Footer: The bottom is where you can add customized messages or a note for your customers.
Emails: Enter a default message that you send with your invoice, estimate, or sales receipts. You can also set up email reminders here
Note: Please refrain from using special characters or emojis in the subject line or the body of your email to avoid delivery errors.
- Payments: Choose the payment method(s) you want to appear on the invoices that you send via email.
- Design: Go through the following items and personalize them as needed.
- Select Preview PDF or Done.
The new customized form will be listed on the Custom Form Styles page. Choose Make default in the Edit drop-down menu to make a customized form the default.
Add or remove fields (Invoice only)
- Select the Plus icon at the top, then Invoice.
- Select the Gear icon at the top.
- Go through the list and mark the fields you want to see on your invoice.
- Select X to close and save your changes.