In order to customize your sales form (invoices/estimates) and other transaction types (purchase orders, statements, etc), you need to know how form customization works in QuickBooks Online. QuickBooks Online has a standard (master) template that when customized, affects all transaction types. You can create your own templates, but these custom templates can only be created for invoices, estimates, and sales receipts.
- If you want to have all your invoices have the color red, but all your purchase orders be blue, you will need to customize the standard template (master) to be blue for your purchase orders, and create a new template for just invoices that are red.
- If you want to have your statements be green and your purchase orders be blue, you will not be able to do this as you can only have one standard template (master) and it can only be one color or the other. Important: Creating new templates only works for invoices, estimates, and purchase orders.
- If you want your business contact information to be on your invoices, but not your purchase orders, you will need to remove your business contact information from the standard (master) template, and create a new template (for invoices) and add your information to it.
Remember, creating new templates allows your more advanced customization, but only for invoices, estimates, and sales receipts. You can fully customize the standard (master) template, which will impact all transaction types but you can only have the one.
To change the style of transaction forms in QuickBooks Online:
- Click the Gear icon > Custom Form Styles.
- To change the Standard style for all types of forms, click Edit. Or, click New style and then select Invoice, Estimate, or Sales Receipt from the list in the dropdown menu to start a new style.
- On the Customize Form Style page, go through all the tabs at the left to experiment with the changes you can make. For example:
Design - click on the following options along the left
- Dive in with a template - Use to select different template.
- Make logo edits - Use to add or edit your company logo.
- Splash on some color - Use to change color palette. You can use html color codes.
- Get choosy with your font - Use to change the font. To see multilingual characters (such as Chinese) on invoices, set Font and line height to Arial MS (Multilingual).
- Edit print settings - Use to adjust how form will print
Content - click on the preview on the right to select the section of the form you want to customize
- Header - click the top of the preview. In this section you can update your business information that shows on forms along with basic information. You can also add up to 3 custom fields here.
Table - click in the middle of the preview. In this section you can select the fields you want to show on the form, including the Account Summary. Click on Show more activity options for more options
- Description column width is not editable directly. Editing the Product/Service column width, can help adjust the description column width.
- Footer - click on the bottom of the preview. In this section you can select what information to show on the bottom of the form.
- Emails - you can select the default email message you want to send with your Invoice, Estimate, or Sales receipt. You will also have an option to setup reminder emails here.
- Payments - you can select what payment methods to have appear on invoices sent by email.
- Design - click on the following options along the left
- Once the preview looks the way you want it to on the right you can then click either:
- Preview PDF - to get a better view or to print it out
- Save and Exit and you're done!
If you added a new style, you'll see it listed on the Custom Form Styles page. To make a form the default click the dropdown next to Edit > Make default
Here's how to assign it to a new form you're creating.
- Click Customize
- Click the template you want to use or Edit current
Add or remove certain data entry fields directly on an invoice.
- Click Create (+) > Invoice
- Click Gear icon
- Add any available fields or columns
- Click X icon to close