The standard sales forms within QuickBooks Online can be adopted for entering your donations. Which form to use will depend on how you want to handle the donation.
Note: If you want to change the terminology for the title of the forms to Donation/Pledge, follow these steps:
- Click the Gear icon > Company Settings/Account and Settings
- Go to the Sales tab on the left
- Click Customize Look and Feel
- Click Header and select Show Form Name
- Change the name of Invoices, Estimates/Quotes, and Sales Receipts to whatever you'd like
When you receive a donation there are three ways of recording it:
- To record the donation and have a printable receipt, use our Sales Receipt feature (terminology for the title of this form can be changed to Donation):
- Click Create (+) > Sales Receipt
- If you simply wish to record the donation, but do not need a printable receipt, you can use the New Deposit section from the Bank Deposit screen.
- Click Create (+) > Bank Deposit
- Go to the Add New Deposits section and fill out the necessary fields
- Should you desire to keep a running register for each donor, you will want to use the Invoice (terminology for the title of this form can be changed to whatever you'd like) and then Receive Payment feature. Using this process will run transactions through Accounts Receivable and therefore create a register for each donor.
- To create an invoice: Click Create (+) > Invoice
- To create a receive payment: Click Create (+) > Receive Payment