Need to start over or purge your data? Would you like to reset QuickBooks and start from scratch? No problem. This guide gives you step-by-step instructions on how to wipe data from your QuickBooks Online file or replace it with data from a QuickBooks Desktop file. Choose the situation that applies to you:
Account has been active for more than 60 days and I need to start from scratch
You can no longer purge your company data after it has been active for 60 days or more. What you can do is to cancel your account, and start a new subscription.
- Sign in to your QuickBooks Online company at https://qbo.intuit.com.
- Select the Gear icon.
- Go to Your Account.
- Choose Update Credit Card.
- In the Subscription Status section, select the Cancel Subscription link.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and it'll walk you through the rest of the process.
To start a new account:
- Go to http://quickbooks.intuit.com/signup/.
- Fill up the User ID and password.
Note: You can use the same user ID and a password you previously had. If you activated payroll in the account, this is the best option for you.
Account has been active for less than 60 days and I need to import data from Quickbooks Desktop
If you have done anything with our online payroll e-services, direct deposit, or created more than 1 set of payroll checks you will have to start a new QuickBooks Online account. If you do attempt to overwrite, you will be met with an error message asking you to delete employees. Please follow the steps above to cancel and start a new account.
To complete the process:
Caution: This process will delete all the data that has already been entered into the company and will be replaced with the data from your Desktop file. Once the data is deleted, it cannot be restored and the process cannot be reversed.
- Sign in to https://qbo.intuit.com.
- Select the Gear Icon on the upper right of the screen.
- Choose Import Desktop Data.
- Select the Version and follow the prompt to import you data.
If you get stuck, see Survival Guide - Import to QuickBooks Online from QuickBooks Desktop for additional support.
Account has been active for less than 60 days and I need to start from scratch
This process only works for QuickBooks Online Plus and Essentials. If you are using QuickBooks Online Simple Start and wish to start over, you will need to cancel your current account and start a new one (see the drop-down for the first situation listed above).
To complete the process, follow the instructions below:
Important: Please keep in mind that this process will delete all data entered into the company. Once the data is deleted, it cannot be restored nor reversed.
- Log in to your QuickBooks Online Company.
- Change the URL to include /purgecompany.
Example: URL shows https://qbo.intuit.com/c28/app/homepage - change to: https://qbo.intuit.com/c28/app/purgecompany
Note: You can choose an industry type different from the one showing and mark whether you need to have accounts based on your industry. You can also start with an "empty" Chart Of Accounts (COA) that will only give you 5 default accounts (Retained Earnings, Opening Balance Equity, Uncategorized Asset, Uncategorized Income and Uncategorized Expense).
- The next screen will provide a summary of the items to be deleted. Type the word "YES" once the data gets deleted then select OK.
- Select Wipe Data once your selections are complete.
When the deletion is complete, you will be rerouted to your home page.