Need to start over? No problem. This guide gives you step-by-step instructions. Choose the situation that applies to you:
Account has been set up for more than 60 days and I would like to start over from scratch:Unfortunately you are not able to wipe the account after it has been active for 60 days or more. Instead, you will simply need to cancel your account, and start a new subscription.
- Sign in to your QuickBooks Online company at https://qbo.intuit.com.
- Choose the Gear icon > Your Account > Update Credit Card.
- In the Subscription Status section, click the Cancel Subscription link.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and we'll walk you through the rest.
To start a new account:
This link will take you to our signup page where you can setup your new account. You can use the same user ID and password that you did previously if desired.
Note: If you have activated payroll in the account, this would be the best option for you.
Account has been set up for less than 60 days and I would like to import/overwrite my data with a QuickBooks Desktop file
If you have done anything with our online payroll e-services, direct deposit, or created more than 1 set of payroll checks you will have to start a new QuickBooks Online account. If you do attempt to overwrite, you will be met with an error message asking you to delete employees. Please follow the steps above to cancel and start a new account.
To complete the process:
- Once signed in to https://qbo.intuit.com, in the upper right, choose the Gear Icon > Import Desktop Data.
- Select your version then follow the steps to import your data. If you get stuck, see Survival Guide - Import to QuickBooks Online from QuickBooks Desktop for more additional support.
Caution: Please keep in mind that this process will delete any data that has already been entered into the company and will be replaced with the data from your Desktop file. Once the data is deleted it cannot be restored and the process cannot be reversed.
Account is within 60 days of signup and I would like to start over from scratch
Note: This process only works for QuickBooks Online Plus and Essentials. If you are using QuickBooks Online Simple Start and wish to start over, you will need to cancel your current account and start a new one (see the dropdown for the first situation listed above).
- Payroll users: If you have QuickBooks Online Payroll or Full Services Payroll this process may not work and we recommend following the steps above to cancel and start a new account. While it is possible to wipe the data in QuickBooks Online but the payroll data will not be affected and payroll system will not function.
- QBOA Firm users: If you are using QuickBooks Online for Accountants, do not attempt this process for your own firm’s Books, as it could cause irreversible damage. Instead, you can import a blank QuickBooks Desktop file if you have the software provided there aren't any limitations preventing you from performing this action.
Caution: Please keep in mind that this process will delete any data that has already been entered into the company. Once the data is deleted, it cannot be restored nor reversed.
To complete the process, follow the instructions below:
- Log in to your QuickBooks Online Company.
- Change the URL to include /purgecompany
Example: URL shows https://qbo.intuit.com/c28/app/homepage - change to: https://qbo.intuit.com/c28/app/purgecompany
- The next screen will provide a summary of the items being deleted. In order to confirm that you understand the data will be deleted you must type in the word Yes and click OK.
If the industry you want to use is different than the one showing feel free to change and mark whether you would like the system to create accounts based on your industry or start with an empty chart of accounts. Once your selections are complete, click Wipe Data. When the deletion is complete you will be rerouted to your home page.5984