Moving your file from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online? Here's a step-by-step guide to help you.
NOTE: If you only have an older version of QuickBooks installed (or a backup file from 2015 or earlier), you'll need to first download an updated trial from this list QuickBooks Desktop trial links.
Before you convert your file, review the following important information:
If you prefer, you can watch this video tutorial:
To convert QuickBooks Desktop file to QuickBooks Online:
Step 1: Import from QuickBooks Desktop
Select the QuickBooks Desktop product you want to import from to see the instructions for that product.
QuickBooks Pro/Premier files
If you don't see the export option, follow these steps to update QuickBooks Desktop
- Click Help > Update QuickBooks.
- Select all updates in the Update Now window.
- Click Get Updates.
- Once the updates are complete, select Close, then File>Exit.
- Start QuickBooks again and finish installing the updates when prompted. These updates may take more than 15 minutes to install, depending on how long it's been since your last update.
If you are unable to complete the updates, please review Fix QuickBooks Desktop Update Errors.
QuickBooks Enterprise files
We do not recommend moving data from a QuickBooks Enterprise file to QuickBooks Online, because data loss is likely to occur.
As an Enterprise user, you have access to many advanced features that are not supported or available in QuickBooks Online.
If you upgraded to Enterprise by mistake and think that QuickBooks Online is a better fit for your business, please review Import Limitations - QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online.
- Open your company file.
- Press Ctrl+1 to open the Product Information window.
- Press Ctrl + b + q. (It will seem like nothing happens. It's very important that you CLOSE the Product information window to see the underlying WEB BASED QBO sign in for the next step).
- Click OK to close the Product information window.
- Follow the prompts to Connect to QuickBooks Online.
Step 2: Connect to QuickBooks Online
- Enter your QuickBooks Online login credentials (User ID is usually the email address you used to sign up), agree to the Terms of Service, and click Submit
- If you have inventory in your file, and are importing from QuickBooks Desktop 2016 or later, you will see this screen, otherwise skip to step 3.
- Pick the QuickBooks Online company you want to import your data into, or choose to create a new company.
- Click OK, Got it.
That's it. We'll email you when the import is done.
NOTE: This import can take up to 24 hours.
After you import your data into QuickBooks Online, review What to do after completing an import to QuickBooks Online from QuickBooks Desktop Mac/Windows (US).