Moving your files over from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop? Here's a step-by-step guide that will help you do it.
If you only have an older version of QuickBooks installed or a backup file from 2015 or earlier, you can download an updated trial from these QuickBooks desktop trial links then follow the steps below to begin the import process.
For QuickBooks for Mac. See Import into QuickBooks Online from QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
For QuickBooks Enterprise. See Import into QuickBooks Online from QuickBooks Enterprise.
Before you get started
- You can only import QuickBooks Desktop data within the first 60 days of your QuickBooks Online company start date. Your QuickBooks Desktop file will also replace your entire QuickBooks Online file and overwrite any existing information.
- You must be an Administrator user in both your existing Desktop file AND in your Quickbooks Online account.
- Your QuickBooks file must be under 350,000 targets (file size does not matter). To trim it down, see Condensing your QuickBooks Desktop File for Import to QuickBooks Online. If you are over this limit, you will only be given the option to import your lists and/or balances.
- If you receive any errors regarding the file you're importing, see Errors Importing to QuickBooks Online.
- To understand key differences and unsupported features prior to moving, see Import Limitations- Quickbooks Desktop to Quickbooks Online(US, UK, CA).
Import from Quickbooks Pro/Premier files
- Open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click Company > Export Company File to QuickBooks Online.
If you do not see this option, please use the following steps to update QuickBooks Desktop
Click Help > Update QuickBooks.
- Select all updates in the Update Now window.
- Click Get Updates. (If all updates are not downloaded, the export company link may not appear.)
- Click Close.
- Click File > Exit.
- Start QuickBooks again and finish installing the updates when prompted. These updates may take 15+ minutes to install, depending on how long it's been since your last update.
For Enterprise files
- Open QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions so you see the screen listed below.
- Press Ctrl+1 to open the Product Information window.
- Once opened, press Ctrl + b + q.
- Click OK to close the Product information window.
Connecting to QuickBooks Online
Enter your QuickBooks Online login info, agree to the Terms of Service and click Submit.
If you have inventory in your file, and are importing from the latest version of QuickBooks 2015, you will see this screen, otherwise skip to step 3.
Pick the online company you want to import your data into, or choose to create a new company.
Select OK, Got it. We'll email you when we're done!
- Once you have completed the import, sign in to your QuickBooks Online account.
- Please compare the Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet standard reports in QBO and in QuickBooks Desktop to ensure that your data was transferred correctly.
- See What to do after completing an import to QuickBooks Online from QuickBooks Desktop Mac/Windows (US) for next steps.