Time Tracking allows you to easily track and bill customers for your time.
With Time Tracking, you can track time worked by your employees and contractors. You can easily assign a particular activity to a project or customer, and choose whether to bill your customers for the activity.
Because it is Internet-based, QuickBooks Online makes it easy for employees to track their time. They fill out simple time-sheets from any computer with an Internet connection. To keep your finances secure, you can give these users "time entry" only access, and choose whether or not to restrict them from seeing their billing rate.
Based on the rates you specify, and whether or not the time is billable, time detail will automatically appear on customer invoices. The amount of detail included on the invoice is up to you, including:
- The employee's name.
- The number of hours billed.
- The hourly rate charged.
- On the invoice, you can customize to show the following:
- Text from the Description field on the time sheet
- The name of the standard service you are using
- Custom text that you specify for time tracking charges
For more information on customizing see the Activity Table Section of Sales Form Customization (Custom Form Styles)
You may have unlimited number of users for Time Tracking, and it will not count toward the number or users or the price of the subscription.
Turning on the time tracking preference:
- Go to Gear icon > Account and Settings.
- On the left hand menu, click Advanced.
- Click the pencil to the right of Time Tracking
- Check the Add Service field to timesheets or Add Customer field to timesheets. When either of these are checked, employees and contractors who fill out time sheets can specify if activities should be billed to a customer.
- (Optional) Check the Show billing rate to users entering time.
- To select the first day of the work week, use the dropdown and select the day to begin each work week. Setting the first day of your work week affects how employees and contractors view Weekly Time Sheets.
- Click Save.
- Click Done on the bottom right.
To add a Time Tracking user only:
- Click on the Gear > Manage Users.
- Choose New then select Time Tracking only.
- Select which vendor or employee you wish to add as a Time Tracking Only user. NOTE: Regular users or Company Admin can use Time Tracking automatically by clicking on the + (Create) button on the top right.
Time Tracking Reporting:
There are 4 reports available that reference Time Tracking:
- Recent/Edited Time Activities
- Time Activities by Customer Detail
- Time Activities by Employee Detail
- Unbilled Time
Note: Once upgraded, you cannot downgrade again so it helps to make sure this is what you need before you upgrade.
IMPORTANT: Time tracking is not currently supported on mobile devices. "Time Tracking Only" users will not be able to fill out time via a mobile device such as a mobile phone or tablet.