- On your keyboard, press the Windows key + E to open the My Computer window. (Windows 10: You can click the File explorer icon or the Yellow folder)
- Locate and select the folder containing your QuickBooks Desktop company file.
- Right-click the folder and choose Properties.
- Click the Sharing tab, click the Share button.
- In the File Sharing window, enter the name you want to add or use the drop-down arrow to select the user and click Add.
QBDataServiceUser also needs access
Note: The specific QBDataServiceUser for your version of QuickBooks Desktop also needs Full Control access to the folder containing your QuickBooks Desktop company file. Repeat step 4 to add the QBDataServiceUser for your version of QuickBooks Desktop if it is not already listed.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017 - QBDataServiceUser27
- QuickBooks Desktop 2016 - QBDataServiceUser26
- QuickBooks Desktop 2015 - QBDataServiceUser25
- QuickBooks Desktop 2014 - QBDataServiceUser24
- In the Permission Level column, select the Read drop-down arrow and select Full Control.
- Click Share.
- Click the Security tab
- Click the Edit button for the Group or user names section.
- Click QBDataServiceUserXX.
- In the Permissions for QBDataServiceUserXX section , select the Full Control checkbox in the Allow column and click OK.
- Click Close.
Taking Ownership of a file in Windows 8.1
- Select the file (or folder) you want to take ownership, click on Share > Advanced Security.
- Click on the Change link.
- Click on the Advanced tab on the Select User or Group window.
- Click Find Now.
- Select user and click OK.
Grant Full Control Permission in 8.1
- Select the file or folder > Click on Share > Click on Advanced Security.
- Click Add.
- Click on Select a Principal link.
- Click on the Advanced button.
- Click on the Find Now button.
- Select user and click OK .
- Check the Full Control box (applies to option should be selected as This Folder, Subfolder, and Files).
- Click OK.
Note: Click Yes on Windows Security warning if it appears.
Note: Before performing the following steps, ensure that File and Storage Services has been installed.
- Open Server Manager and go to File and Storage Services.
- From the left pane, click Shares.
- In the middle section, click the Tasks dropdown and click New Share.
- A list of File Share Profile shows. You can learn about the differences between the profiles by clicking each profile and reading the description.
- Select SMB Share - Quick.
Note: SMB Share - Quickis the default profile. This selection can vary.
- The next window is where you can select the folder to share. From the Share location section, pick Type a custom path and then click Browse to locate the folder you wish to share.
- After the folder is found, click Select a folder.
- Click Next.
Note: You may leave the default selections under the Configure Share settings window and click Next again.