Set Windows access permissions to share company files
The easiest solution for this is to download, install and run the QuickBooks File Doctor. With a few simple steps, the File Doctor will set the correct level of file and folder sharing permissions and ensure that hosting is set up appropriately. If you prefer, you can follow the manual steps outlined below.
Taking Ownership of a file in Windows 8.1
- Select the file (or folder) you want to take ownership, click on Share > Advanced Security.
- Click on the Change link.
- Click on the Advanced tab on the Select User or Group window.
- Click Find Now.
- Select user and click OK.
Grant Full Control Permission in 8.1
- Select the file or folder > Click on Share > Click on Advanced Security.
- Click Add.
- Click on Select a Principal link.
- Click on the Advanced button.
- Click on the Find Now button.
- Select user and click OK .
- Check the Full Control box (applies to option should be selected as This Folder, Subfolder, and Files).
- Click OK.
Note: Click Yes on Windows Security warning if it appears.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key + E to open the My Computer window.
- Locate and select the folder containing your QuickBooks company file.
- Right-click the folder and choose Properties.
- Click the Sharing tab, click the Share button.
- In the File Sharing window, enter the name you want to add or use the drop-down arrow to select the user and click Add.
QBDataServiceUser also needs access
Note: The specific QBDataServiceUser for your version of QuickBooks also needs Full Control access to the folder containing your QuickBooks company file. Repeat step 4 to add the QBDataServiceUser for your version of QuickBooks if it is not already listed.
- QuickBooks 2016 - QBDataServiceUser26
- QuickBooks 2015 - QBDataServiceUser25
- QuickBooks 2014 - QBDataServiceUser24
- QuickBooks 2013 - QBDataServiceUser23
- In the Permission Level column, select the Read drop-down arrow and select Full Control.
- Click Share.
- Click the Security tab
- Click the Edit button for the Group or user names section.
- Click QBDataServiceUserXX.
- In the Permissions for QBDataServiceUserXX section , select the Full Control checkbox in the Allow column and click OK.
- Click Close.