- QuickBooks, United States
- 8 people found this useful
Fix Microsoft .NET Framework, MSXML, and C++ issues using the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Microsoft .Net Framework, MSXML and C++ are Microsoft components that QuickBooks uses in order to properly run on a Windows computer. If any of these components get damaged or replaced with another version that is not compatible with your QuickBooks version, you may experience errors that will prevent you from using or installing QuickBooks.
.NET is a framework component Microsoft uses to interface programs through Windows.
QuickBooks/ProSeries/Lacerte uses .NET for many areas of the program. Different versions of .NET are used for different releases of QuickBooks. Sometimes, .NET framework can become corrupted, which may prevent QuickBooks from installing, opening correctly, or functioning properly
You may get the following errors if .Net framework is damaged:
- Error 1603
- Error 1903
- Error 1722
- Error 1904
According to Microsoft, Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) is a set of services that allows applications written in Script, VBScript, and Microsoft development tools to build Windows-native XML-based applications.
What does this mean? First, you need to understand what XML is. XML is an almost universally supported way of exchanging documents and data across applications and platforms. In other words, it's a way of organizing information so you can view data easier. However, this only applies to you viewing the data in a Notepad or browser window, not for applications to access them in the background. A good example is how you can open the qbregistration.dat file in Notepad and see the data. Without MSXML, QuickBooks cannot read it.
Microsoft has provided a way to interpret the data between the XML document (e.g., qbregistration.dat) and the application (QuickBooks). MSXML reads the XML data in qbregistration.dat and relays it back to QuickBooks.
The following are the common errors you may get if MSXML is corrupted or not installed:
- Make sure MSXML has been installed on your system correctly
- QuickBooks had a problem accessing this registration file. Make sure MSXML is installed correctly: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\COMMON FILES\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBRegistration.dat
- An unrecoverable error has occurred. Exception msxml could not cocreate instance.
- The install process stays at "Installing MSXML" and does not continue.
The Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package contains library files required to run applications developed with Visual C++, the language in which QuickBooks was written.
If a computer does not have the correct version of Visual C++ installed, QuickBooks 2007 and later versions will install it automatically.
The following are some errors that may occur if Microsoft C++ component is damaged:
- Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime Error!
- Error 1904: [file path / name / extension] failed to register
- C++ runtime error! c:\program files\quickbooks online backup\onlinebackup.shl
- Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Error Program: C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [Year]\QBW32.exe Abnormal Program Termination
- Application failed to start because side by side configuration is incorrect.
The following troubleshooting steps are for the Windows operating system, which is not an Intuit product. The steps can become complex if errors occur while repairing or uninstalling .NET Framework. If you are not comfortable doing these steps on your own, Intuit recommends you consult with your computer's manufacturer or other computer professional.
The QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool is designed to automatically diagnose and fix issues with Microsoft .NET Framework, C++, and MSXML.
Prior to performing any manual steps to resolve Microsoft component related issues, it is recommended that this tool be ran first, as it can decrease the time taken to resolve the issue.
Solution 1: Use the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool to resolve Microsoft .NET, MSXML, and C++ issues:
To use the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool:
- Download the QuickBooks Install DiagnosticTool.
- When prompted, save the file to the local Desktop.
- Close any open programs then run the program by double-clicking on the QBInstall_Tool_v2.exe.
Note: It may take up to 20mins to complete, depending on your internet speed and computers performance.
- Once the tool has completed, restart the machine to ensure proper update to components.
Optional: If you have a minute, could you please help us gather feedback on how the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool worked out for you: Click here to provide feedback!
Solution 2: Manually Repair Microsoft components
Important: These troubleshooting steps are for the Windows Operating System, which is not an Intuit product. These steps can become complex if errors occur while repairing or uninstalling .NET Framework, MSXML, or C++.
If you are not comfortable doing these steps on your own, Intuit recommends you consult with your computer's manufacturer or other computer IT professional.
- Repair or reinstall Microsoft .NET Framework (Errors: 1603, 1903, 1722, 1904).
- Repairing Microsoft MSXML
- Uninstall or reinstall Microsoft Visual C++
Do you still have a question?
Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.Post your question to the community