The article outlines the basic troubleshooting steps you can do to fix possible data damage.
Step 1: Re-sort the lists.
Step 2: Run the Rebuild Utility.
The Rebuild Data Utility repairs transactions and list damage in your company file, but is limited to the damage it is programmed to fix.
Run the Rebuild Data utility when:
- You are prompted to by the QuickBooks program
- A QuickBooks In Product Help or knowledge base article suggests you rebuld your data
To rebuild data:
- From the File menu, click Utilities > Rebuild Data.
- Click Ok if you receive a warning message to backup your company file.
Your computer may display the message QuickBooks is not responding however, as long as you can move your mouse indicator, wait for it to complete.
- Click Ok when you get the message Rebuild has completed.
- Run Verify Data to check for remaining data damage. If the second verify fails, proceed to Step 3.
Step 3: Use the QBWin.log to find and resolve data damage