This article is part of our content on Setting up QuickBooks Desktop.
- System requirements
- Download QuickBooks
- Install QuickBooks
- Troubleshoot installation issues
- Register QuickBooks
Before you can use your new QuickBooks software, you need to register it with us. Until you do, you won't be able to open or create company files.
You'll need to register every time you install QuickBooks on any computer. That means that if you have multiple copies of QuickBooks Desktop, you must register each copy, and that if you install QuickBooks Desktop on a new computer, you need to register again.
Register QuickBooks Desktop
- Check if QuickBooks Desktop is already registered by pressing the F2 key on your keyboard while using QuickBooks to bring up the Product Information window.
- Look for the registration status to the right of your license number.
- If your QuickBooks is NOT ACTIVATED or UNREGISTERED, go to the Help menu and choose Activate QuickBooks (or Register QuickBooks in QuickBooks 2015 and earlier).
- Follow the on-screen prompts to verify your information and complete the activation process.
What if I'm having trouble registering?
When prompted to verify your information, you should make sure to provide the same information that you gave at the time of purchase. If it doesn't match perfectly, it won't be accepted.
If you have a technical issue like a blank screen or an error message, try temporarily disabling your antivirus software, as it may be interfering with the registration process.
Finally, if you are not able to register on your own, you can contact us to register over the phone.
For users with older software: In keeping with Intuit's discontinuation plan for older products, discontinued products cannot be registered for the first time.
You may re-register discontinued products if they have ever been registered before on any computer and are being reinstalled. If you do, you will need to call us to receive a validation code. However, assisted support for discontinued products is no longer available. If you have an discontinued product, we recommend that you upgrade your version of QuickBooks Desktop.