QuickBooks Learn & Support Home
- QuickBooks, United States
- 1 person found this useful
Open a company file that is located on a remote computer
The following items are required before you can open a company file that is stored on a remote computer:
- The folder on the computer storing the company file must be set up to be shared over the network. For more information, see Sharing folders. Additional information about sharing files is available at the Microsoft Windows Web site.
- Your computers must be set up for multi-user access. See Setting up multi-user access.
- If the company file is on a file server, you must have access to the server.
- The linked computer or server must be mapped as a network drive to your own computer.
- You must be set up as a QuickBooks user with a user name and password.
- QuickBooks and the QuickBooks Database Manager must be installed on the computer storing the company file to ensure the most reliable connection.
- Install the QuickBooks Database Manager on the remote computer:
- On the remote computer, install and then open QuickBooks.
- Select the File menu and select Switch to Multi-user Mode.
- Click Yes in the Multi-user hosting setup required window.
Note: QuickBooks installs and runs QBDBMgrN.exe as a background service. This service must be running on the computer storing the company file even if QuickBooks is not open.
- Click OK on the Multi-user setup information window.
- Add the necessary users. For help on adding users, click on How Do I? at the top of the User List window.
- Locate and then open the company file:
- Select the File menu and select Open Company (in QuickBooks 2007 or later, select Open or Restore Company).
- Click the Look in drop-down arrow and select the mapped network drive that contains the company. For example, if your company file is mapped to drive E, look for Company Files Name (E:) in the list.
Note: If necessary, double-click the appropriate folders until you see the company file, which has a .qbw file name extension. Select the company file from the list and click Open.
- If prompted, enter your user name and password.
Do you still have a question?
Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.Post your question to the community