When you open a PDF file (for example, a previous bank reconciliation report) or try to perform a bank reconciliation using an older version of Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat, QuickBooks Desktop crashes with an unrecoverable error.
Although the error codes vary, the following codes have been reported:
Why this is happening
This occurs if Adobe Reader 10.0, 9.0, or 8.0 is installed and the preference for Display PDF in Browser is is selected.
Adobe 11.0 (XI) and later does not have the option to display PDF in browser anymore and displays PDFs outside of the browser by default, which will resolve this issue going forward.
How to fix it
Important: If you have Adobe Acrobat 10.0, 9.0, or 8.0, you would have to purchase a new version, as Adobe Acrobat is a paid program unlike Adobe Reader, which is free. You can follow steps in Solution 2 if you do not wish to upgrade your version of Adobe Acrobat.
- Inside Adobe Reader, choose Help > About Adobe Reader.
- If you see versions 8.0, 9.0, or 10.0 showing , you will need to update to 11.0 by downloading the Adobe Reader 11.0 from Adobe's site.
- Follow the instructions to install Adobe Reader 11.0 and reboot the computer when finished updating Adobe Reader to the latest release and try to view your previous bank reconciliation report.
If you still encounter the error or do not wish to update to 11.0, go to Solution 2.
- Click the Windows Start menu.
- Choose Programs or All Programs to see a list of installed programs.
- Choose Adobe Reader/Acrobat. Note: Adobe XI (11.0) and later no longer displays a PDF in the browser by default, so if you are on an older release, updating will resolve the issue.
- Choose Edit > Preferences.
- In the Preferences window, from the Categories list, select Internet.
- Click to clear the Display PDF in Browser preference in the Web Browser Options section.
- Click OK