Before checking for updates or finding the right solution for your problem, you need to know which version of QuickBooks you have.
To find product version and release information:
In QuickBooks, choose Reports > Intuit Statement Writer (or Financial Statement Designer.) When the program opens, choose Help > About intuit Statement Writer. Version information will appear in the About window.
QuickBooks is used only as the entry point to the Merchant Services (IMS) server, so there is no version or release.
Choose Help > About Point of Sale. The product edition and version appear in the Product line at the top of the Product Information window.
In QuickBooks, choose Employees > Payroll Center. On the left, click the Payroll tab to see the Subscription Status window.
Choose Help > Product Information. Version and release information appear. For example, if it shows Product: QuickBooks Pro 2015 for Mac R3, the version is 2015 and the release is R3.
The product edition and version appear in the title bar, at the top of the product window.
Press F2 to open the Product Information window. Version, edition, and release appear at the top of the window, on the Product line.
Press and hold the CTRL key, and then double-click the QuickBooks icon on your desktop. Continue pressing the CTRL key until you see the No Company Open window, then release the CTRL key.
If QuickBooks still does not open:
- Right-click the QuickBooks icon on your desktop, and click Properties.
- Click Find Target and right click QBW32.EXE.
- Click Properties and click the General tab. The Location line shows the year of your QuickBooks version.
- Click the Version tab and under Item name, click File Version. To the right, under Value, the last release update to your copy of QuickBooks appears. For example: 21.0D R5. The number 21 refers to QuickBooks 2011 (20 would refer to 2010 and so on). The R5 refers to release 5.
- Update your version of QuickBooks with the latest release.
- If the problem persists, read QuickBooks does not open when double clicking the icon.