Find product version and release numbers
Before checking for updates or finding the right solution for your problem, you need to know which version of QuickBooks you have.
To find product version and release information:
Choose Help > Product Information. Version and release information appear. For example, if it shows Product: QuickBooks Pro 2015 for Mac R3, the version is 2015 and the release is R3.
Choose Help > About Point of Sale. The product edition and version appear in the Product line at the top of the Product Information window.
Choose the Customer Manager Help menu > About. The version and release appear in the Release Number line of the About QuickBooks Customer Manager window. For example, if the Release Number line shows v2_5mr_QBCM_V2.5R1_070214_00, the version is 2.5 and the release is R1.
The product edition and version appear in the title bar, at the top of the product window.Press F2 to open the Product Information window. Version, edition, and release appear at the top of the window, on the Product line.
In QuickBooks, choose Employees > Payroll Center. On the left, click the Payroll tab to see the Subscription Status window.
In QuickBooks, choose Reports > Intuit Statement Writer (or Financial Statement Designer.) When the program opens, choose Help > About intuit Statement Writer (or About Financial Statement Designer.) Version information will appear in the About window.
QuickBooks is used only as the entry point to the Merchant Services (IMS) server, so there is no version or release.
Press and hold the CTRL key, and then double-click the QuickBooks icon on your desktop. Continue pressing the CTRL key until you see the No Company Open window, then release the CTRL key.
If QuickBooks still does not open:
- Right-click the QuickBooks icon on your desktop, and click Properties.
- Click Find Target and right click QBW32.EXE.
- Click Properties and click the General tab. The Location line shows the year of your QuickBooks version.
- Click the Version tab and under Item name, click File Version. To the right, under Value, the last release update to your copy of QuickBooks appears. For example: 21.0D R5. The number 21 refers to QuickBooks 2011 (20 would refer to 2010 and so on). The R5 refers to release 5.
- Update your version of QuickBooks with the latest release.
- If the problem persists, read QuickBooks does not open when double clicking the icon.